shortening a PTO shaft for chipper

/ shortening a PTO shaft for chipper #1  

mpowrd

Bronze Member
Tractor
Kubota BX24
We're getting a new BX24 in the next week or so and have been looking at chippers for it. The dealer where we're getting the tractor has Woods 5000 chippers in stock at a pretty decent price of $3280, or I can get the Bearcat 70554 for about $200 less.

I've been told these are basicly the same unit, but the Bearcat is a better color match. I'd have to shorten the PTO shaft on the Bearcat if I get it, whereas the dealer would set up the Woods for me before delivery.

How hard is it to shorten a PTO shaft on a unit like this?

/ shortening a PTO shaft for chipper #2  
Shortening a PTO shaft is pretty easy. Pull it apart and use a hacksaw and cut what you need off of each piece. Clean up the rough edges with a file. Then clean up any metal chips and regrease. I did it on a fertilizer spreader and it worked fine.

/ shortening a PTO shaft for chipper #3  
Bear in mind that you will need to cut both shaft sections. The owners manual with the chipper will usually have instructions on shortening the shaft.

Not really a big deal.

Bill Tolle

/ shortening a PTO shaft for chipper #4  
Be sure to leave as much engagement as possible for when the chipper is down on the ground and running. Having a "too long" PTO shaft is not nearly as critical for a chipper as long as you can lift it for transport and not bind the shaft. You are never gonna run it while lifted up on the 3pt.

/ shortening a PTO shaft for chipper #5  
got to agree no big problem shorting the shafts,Equal parts off each shaft.You do not want it to long as when lowering can cause damage to tractor.All that weight if it's to long will push on your tractor pto stub and possibly break it.what I did was remove entire shaft,mount your chipper to tractor lower it as low as it EVER will go.Mearsure distance between tractor pto and chipper pto,you need to shaft to be a little shorter.Then raise chipper up and you do not want shaft to come apart in raised position.Mark and cut.Adminster pat on back.