Should I buy a L118 or L120?

/ Should I buy a L118 or L120? #1  

KeithF

Hi, great site! My first post - I searched for L100, L110, L118 and L120 first and read all those posts.

I am trying to decide between a L118 or L120 JD Lawn tractor, and would appreciate your advice.

I have 1.5 acres of grass with trees and slopes - some steep. I just purchased this property and have no ride-on mower experience to help me decide.

I'd prefer the L118 as I'm thinking it's a little smaller, so it will be easier around trees or through narrow gaps? Also, that's $200 plus I can use for a cart, etc.

But one poster said his L120 has been great for hills as it has the larger wheels, etc.

Sooo, what to do? All advice appreciated! And soon too, as I'm itching to buy. Thanks! Keith. /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

/ Should I buy a L118 or L120? #2  
Keith: Welcome to the best site on the Internet for people interested in tractors/mowers and other equipment. I just purchased an L120 after doing research on all mower brands. I have only one complaint to advise you about and that is the mower speed is governed at less than 5 mph. When you get the mower up to top speed depressing the pedal and turn on the cruise control it slows a bit more. I had a 7 speed MTD before this and it was faster. Guess I got used to cutting at a higher speed and may be spoiled. The L120 cuts great and I liked everything else about it. Check out the speeds of both and see what you think. There is also a link about this in Lawn and Garden.

/ Should I buy a L118 or L120?
Stuart, thanks for the tip. Oops, y'know I only searched in the JD Forums - now I've seen there is a L&G forum you mentioned and it has lots of info too.

Hmm, I've since established that HomeDepot does not honor the 10% off coupon they gave me, for JD purchases /forums/images/graemlins/mad.gif. So I guess I'll either buy a JD118 from a dealer, or go to Lowes and use the 10% off coupon they gave me, to buy a Cub Cadet or Troy-bilt...rats, more research /forums/images/graemlins/confused.gif...and the grass is not getting any shorter...

/ Should I buy a L118 or L120? #4  
Keith: Be aware that JD has a 30 day return policy and that Home Depot has an adjl 60 days but they may give store credit only after 30. Be sure to verify this before you buy. Good luck

/ Should I buy a L118 or L120? #5  
The only differences in the 118 and 120 is the deck and the electric pto clutch and the tires.

One thing to note the 118 has more power doesn't lug down in the toughest grass... tho the 120 is well worth the 200 dollars u get the 3 blade 48" deck and the electric pto.. on the other hand the 42" deck is best in class on cut quality so it just depends on what u want done the 118 has wide low profile tires which will go equaly well on hills etc...

Generaly we see about a 10-15mm change in the cutting height which is negligable as to ground clearance on hills..

If u need any info on the L series i work at the greeneville plant where there made if u look they all are GX or H on seriel # the GX is the greeneville plant H is horicon the maker of the gator and other garden equipment.

Thanks hope that helps.. i like the 118 it has tons of power just due to less loading on the engine and it looks like a hot rod with low fat tires..

Thanks for the advice all! I ended up with a L120 from a local dealer. It mows great! Keith.

/ Should I buy a L118 or L120? #7  
Keith: Saw your other post and was wondering why you are asking about returning it?

/ Should I buy a L118 or L120? #8  
LOL alot of people have returned some.. wheels falling off steering wheels coming off.. no starts etc.. alot of setup problems in relationship to home depot and there checking and pre-delivery ..

Ok, ok, thanks. My reasons for considering a return are in the other thread titled "If I return it who eats the return..".

/ Should I buy a L118 or L120? #10  
Keith: My biggest problem with the L 120 is that one of the front tires has a slow leak in it. My only other complaint is locating some fo the grease points based on what the manual says. There are no grease points on the 48" deck itself. Tha manual is wrong and probably only applies to the 42" deck. The Front Pivot grease point is near impossible to get at unless you jackl up the front end of the mower. Good luck.