Should I buy another compact tractor or something entirely different?

/ Should I buy another compact tractor or something entirely different? #1  

Bill_B

Bronze Member
Tractor
Mahindra 2615
The ole 26 -HP Mahindra tractor has served me well for the past 15 or so years but it's time for something different.
Usage is 90% for snow and ice management from November to March. I have 1000' long steep driveway that goes downhill to a busy high speed road on a blind corner. There is a retaining wall on one side of thr driveway. I'd love to just go get a plow for my truck but that doesn't work for this application. I tried and it was a nightmare.

My biggest complaints with this current set up is:
No factory cab (90% of use is snow removal in the winter), under powered tractor and PTO (running a 70" blower), the ignition switch has to be replaced every few years, no rear hydro outputs, no quick detach bucket, low lift capacity, gas tank fill too high up, and I have a hard time getting the tractor to start when it is below 0F outside.
I really like this frame size but I feel like I need to stay above 35 HP. The more HP the better especially for the snowblower.
Me and my wife are really sick of backing up to snowblow!! I don't want to get a tractor and put a snowblower on the front because then I can't use my FEL to scrape and move snow around. I have been looking at cab tractors but the more I think about it we don't really use our tractor as a tractor. So why get another tractor? I considered a skid steer with a hydraulic blower. This would fit the bill well except that they ride rough as heck, the visibility sucks, and it is a pain to climb in and out of. So that is out. Then the other day I discoved the Bobcat Toolcat. OMG this would be perfect for my situation!! Well that is until I found out how much they cost. Holy crap!! $80k?? Are you kidding me!?! I love everything about this "mini-unimogs" but why do they have to cost so much? Then add to that the fact that they rust out within ten years. Is there anything else similar that is less expensive? What about an older Holder? Those seem pretty cool and I see the older ones show up for around $5k-$8k. For that price I could keep my tractor and use it for back up and for filling up the sander on the Holder.
Thoughts?

Thanks

/ Should I buy another compact tractor or something entirely different? #2  
I traded a 35 hp Mahindra 3525 2wd for a 52hp Kubota Mx5200 4wd used for mowing. The difference in useable HP is more than I expected. The 4wd has traction where the 3525 would start slipping. The MX feels more stable on hills.

Can't speak to snowblowing, but it could be that a jump in HP and tractor frame size to something like a cab in a TYM T474 or T494 might be something worth considering.

/ Should I buy another compact tractor or something entirely different? #3  
It’s hard to beat a tractor with a bucket on the front and snow blower on the back for some snow removal situations. Get rid of your tractor and snow blower for a new tractor with an cab and an inverted blower.

/ Should I buy another compact tractor or something entirely different? #4  
I have no inverted blower experience, but I can say a cab makes a world of difference while blowing snow!

/ Should I buy another compact tractor or something entirely different? #5  
I have 1000' long steep driveway that goes downhill

Not sure how steep you are talking... but bigger machine (heavier) with a higher center of gravity is not always your friend on the steep slippery stuff. We have a 1/2 mile long drive that is steep & there are time even chained up it is not a fun time. Sound like a Tool Cat would be the ultimate for your situation... but I get the price thing.

/ Should I buy another compact tractor or something entirely different? #6  
Would a reversable tractor(turn controls to face forward or backward) work for you? They cost more than a regular tractor, but not like a toolcat. See Goldini, Antonio Carrera, and Ferari tractors.

If you go for a regular tractor, get Ag rims as they provide the greatest amount of adjustment. You will be amazed at the difference in stability/feel of the tractor.

/ Should I buy another compact tractor or something entirely different? #7  
My Goldilocks sized TYM T474 is 48.3Hp and is a beast of a snow removal machine. Just turned 418h with no issues.

IMG_0398.jpg

/ Should I buy another compact tractor or something entirely different?
   / Should I buy another compact tractor or something entirely different? #9  
I looked at the TYMs up in Turner. Going to go back up again this week. What town are you in?
I'm out west in NW MT up in the Rockies, 9 miles from Glacier Park

/ Should I buy another compact tractor or something entirely different?