Should I buy this 425?

/ Should I buy this 425? #1  

weathda

Silver Member
Tractor
Farmtrac 665DTC, Kubota L2550, John Deere 310SE, Dresser 175C
Just moved to a new homeplace this year with increased mowing acreage. My Home Depot John Deere L120 w/ 48" deck served well for our residential yard. But this season on our new rural property we've more than doubled the hours of our normal season. Although it's still running fine, I'm not sure how much longer it will last. Been wanting to get a zero-turn, but just can't let go of the cash for the commercial mower I want. Was hoping to get by for a few more years with the L120.

Sunday night before bed, I see a classified ad on nextdoor.com. Lady less than a mile away is selling her JD 425 for $1500. Only has one picture, but her description is intriguing. Well maintained, All-Wheel Steering, 60" deck and wheel weights. My gears start turning and I think if I could use this for 5+ years to get me by till I get the zero-turn I want, this might be worth it. I could sell the L120 while it is in good working order.

So I call her and go look at it yesterday. Cosmetically, it's in good shape. Has a few maybe minor problems. Battery leaking acid out the terminals. She pulled it out before I got there and she went to turn on the deck and the belt jumped off. I check the pulleys while I was there and the left side pulley was wobbly. She didn't know how to check the hours. It had 732 hours on it. She just had it serviced every season for $150. The spindles looked bone dry. Said she'd never greased them. Surprisingly, everything was very tight aside from the one pulley. The engine had normal dirty oil seepage, but ran very smooth and quiet. It was full of clear oil. I was shocked at how different this mower felt and sounded compared to my L120.

I told her I would think about it and went home to talk it over with wifey. She encouraged me to get it if I wanted a project. So is $1500 a good price? I might go back today and buy it.

/ Should I buy this 425?
Here's the picture.

425.png

/ Should I buy this 425? #3  
Go get it ASAP. They are great little garden tractors. Of course, I would try to get it for less, but I would buy that in a heartbeat, even if I couldn,t talk her down on the price.

/ Should I buy this 425? #4  
I would also buy that in a second. If it hasn't been done already, you might want to replace the plastic cam gear with the newer metal one. Tractor should last another 20 years.

/ Should I buy this 425? #5  
Would also buy it in a heartbeat/second. Even tho I have one already.
Half the price it should be.. IMO.

Looks to be the AWS all-wheel-steer which will do near the performance of zero steer, and so many other things that the z-steer will not do well.

Would help to know the serial number.. can id the year made. Only the early ones had the plastic cam..

Some baking soda will clean up the spilled battery acid, and new battery may be good along with fixing a spindle on the deck.

Don't think you can go wrong with that purchase. Just don't let someone else beat you to it.

/ Should I buy this 425? #6  
   / Should I buy this 425?
Alright, you guys have talked me into it. Craigslist and ebay have confirmed what you guys are saying. Looks like a good deal at the asking price. I called her and asked if she'd fix the pulley and belt I'd give her the asking price. She then told me, that she'd just gotten off the phone with her best friend and her friend advised her that she'd priced the mower too cheap. I thought uuh-oh...I better get this before she posts this somewhere with a bigger audience. Told her I'd take it. I'm going by the bank at lunch and planning to pick it up this evening before trick-or-treating with the kids.

/ Should I buy this 425?
Would also buy it in a heartbeat/second. Even tho I have one already.
Half the price it should be.. IMO.

Looks to be the AWS all-wheel-steer which will do near the performance of zero steer, and so many other things that the z-steer will not do well.

Would help to know the serial number.. can id the year made. Only the early ones had the plastic cam..

Some baking soda will clean up the spilled battery acid, and new battery may be good along with fixing a spindle on the deck.

Don't think you can go wrong with that purchase. Just don't let someone else beat you to it.

Last night, I checked for the serial number on the tag by the front tire, but the sticker was mostly peeled away. She said her husband bought it new in '94 so it does have the plastic cam gear. Is there any harm in waiting till the teeth break? It's not going to drop a valve is it? Also, do you guys know if the whole spindle has to be replaced or can I get by with just bearings? I guess some of this depends on how bad it has galled.

She said the wheel weights were used when they plowed snow in Illinois where it was bought new. They moved it to TN where it cut 5 acres and then AL where it now cuts a 1/4 acre lot.

/ Should I buy this 425? #9  
Note: to open the hood, lift the front leading edge first, then the rear of the hood can be tipped up and forward. A trick that some do not know until the hood is broken.

The spindle should only need bearings.

And hopefully you can resurrect the serial number, maybe from some original paperwork from the sale. If the dealer where purchased is known, they may have the information needed. If a dealer changed out the cam, there should be a record in Deere's files that was made of that transaction. But running the serial number is the best, if maybe the only, way for Deere to track it down.

/ Should I buy this 425? #10  
You got a steal, I think. I used a 425 for twenty years. You'll hate your old tractor in like 1 minute after using the 425. Great tractors, even if you do have to put a cam in it. Replace the bad spindle. change the fluids and battery and put it to work. Do the cam only when in fails. Mine failed at 998 hours. Enjoy.