Should I fill my front tractor tires with foam?

/ Should I fill my front tractor tires with foam? #1  

Missouri Pioneer

Gold Member
Tractor
LS U5030C w/FEL
Not exactly an attachments question, but this is where I hang out. If the moderators really want to move it, so be it, but maybe some other folks in this section might be interested.

Unfortunately, our farm has many honey locust trees with the long, nasty thorns which continuously assault our vehicle, trailer, ATV, mower and front tractor tires. I've tried Slime and the dealer's commercial version, and none are up to the task. It's really aggravating when I don't notice the low tire and break the bead, resulting in another trip to the tractor tire shop. Those tractor tires are really heavy. Yes, I've tried the ratchet straps around the tire before trying to pump up the tires, but my compressor at the farm apparently isn't strong enough. (And by the way, my rear tires were filled by the dealer before purchase with some chemical for weight.)

I did have my zero turn mower tires filled with foam and no more flats, but it really makes for a rougher ride.

So, I ask you:

1. Have you had your front tractor tires filled with foam?
2. Are you glad you did it/would you do it again?
3. How much did it cost you? and
4. Where did you have it done?

Thanks.

/ Should I fill my front tractor tires with foam? #2  
Nothing to add about foam but I've had good luck with starting fluid and a long stem lighter for reseating beads in the woods. Might be something to look into it you get in a bind. Besides the safety aspect, the trick is to get the weight off the tire and it can't sit flat for to long.

Brett

/ Should I fill my front tractor tires with foam?
142 reads and nobody here has foamed their front tires????????????????

/ Should I fill my front tractor tires with foam? #4  
I foamed mine on my 5085 JD. I have never taken the tractor on the road so can't talk about how it affects ride. One thing I was surprised about was there was almost 300 lbs of foam in each tire. It took a little ingenuity to get the wheels out of the pick up truck when I brought them back from the shop.

No longer have to worry about flats in those tires !

/ Should I fill my front tractor tires with foam? #5  
142 reads and nobody here has foamed their front tires????????????????

I think the reason a lot of people don't foam their front tires, are the ones you mentioned, the rough ride, the high cost, and difficulty to remove when it is time to replace tires.. BUT the advantages in the thorn environment you mention sure see evident. I had black thorn in a location for a while, and had a lot of flats. I used Berrymans (a lot like slime), but the key is to get the trees destroyed asap. I know contractors operating backhoes for cleanup of construction debris often do it.

/ Should I fill my front tractor tires with foam? #6  
I considered having the front tires filled on my Case 254. Local Coop said it requires a new tire and rim to be filled plus the foam cost. Not using it enough to justify but I see the advantages.

/ Should I fill my front tractor tires with foam? #7  
I have foamed fronts on a tractor before however Some tractor manufacturers recommend against it because it can be rough on the machine with less tire flex to absorb impact.

It is expensive and heavy but definitely no more flats. I did it on new ag tires on a 4x4 loader tractor about the size of a john Deere 750. I to was having flats from all sorts of things and it solved my problem. It definitely rode rougher but for me I had to do something those ag tires even with tubes just couldn't handle the abuse. So far I haven't had any problems at 200 hours with r4 tires in same type of use with out foam so we will see. If I find I run into the same trouble I will foam again just make sure your tires are like new when you do it.

/ Should I fill my front tractor tires with foam?
We've taken out, I think, probably a thousand or more honey locust trees so far in three years, but have plenty more to do. And they grow just like weeds. Of course we poison the stumps with Tordon, about the only thing that works.

/ Should I fill my front tractor tires with foam? #9  
You may want to consider changing the fronts to the diamond tread turf tires as they are very heavy and
the rubber diamonds are a very thick tread by themselves.

Have you looked at the brush grubbers sold by Gemplers? if your mule has the weight you will
be able to rip them out. they have several sizes of grubbers to pull out brush. the smallest is a
choker and the two larger sizes have toothed grippers that work like a dentist pulling teeth EEEEEEK!!!!!!

/ Should I fill my front tractor tires with foam? #10  
As far as seating the bead, do you pull the valve stem core? That is about the only way I can get one to seat. Sometimes I use a chain instead of a ratchet strap.

I have used some lifts and Lulls that had been foamed. They are rough to ride on but the extra weight shouldn't matter. Isn't everything below the axle ballast.