Should I remove the FEL

/ Should I remove the FEL #1  

EMS503

Silver Member
Tractor
1960 or 61 MF35 Deluxe, 2008 Kubota L3940 GST
I have a section on my property that was being used to grow hay. They are no longer using it and will be bush hogging it down so I can mow.
I have a L3490 w/loaded rear R4's with Woods RD72 finish mower. I will be mowing this going down hill not sure about mowing up. on the very top my tilt meter reads 15 degrees when coming across the top sideways, I am sure it is probably closer to 20 degrees or more further down and I am not very comfortable here, Not used to the tractor yet its just a little higher then my old GC2300 :rolleyes: When mowing this hill should I remove the FEL or leave it on for front weight. I remove the FEL for all other mowing which is not as steep. The pictures are looking from the side, down and up.

Attachments

• Back Yard hill 002.jpg
    Back Yard hill 002.jpg
    802.4 KB · Views: 363
  • Back Yard hill 005.jpg
    Back Yard hill 005.jpg
    693.6 KB · Views: 296
  • Back Yard hill 006.jpg
    Back Yard hill 006.jpg
    601.8 KB · Views: 305
   / Should I remove the FEL #2  
Doesn't look TOO tippy, but if it was me, I'd keep the bucket on and down real low. Remember that the front axle just pivots, so if you start to tip, it won't help. On the other hand, the bucket will. Functions as sort of an outrigger if you do tip any.

- Jay

/ Should I remove the FEL #3  
I agree, it doesn't look that bad. But, if you've never mowed this patch, I'd leave the bucket on for the first time. Keep it down low to 'feel' for obstacles you don't want to mow, like old tires, down fences, etc.

/ Should I remove the FEL #4  
Personally, I find the FEL useful when mowing rough areas. The FEL can be used to push over materials that might otherwise be combersome under the tractor. Additionally, if you added some weight to the bucket and kept it close to the ground, it might make it more stable. If you do this, you would have to monitor the bucket position at all times, but I do this anyway.

good luck

SI2305

/ Should I remove the FEL #5  
One of the hills on my property is steeper than that, and it gets mowed regularly with the FEL still on the tractor. I feel I have much more stability and front end weight with it attached.

/ Should I remove the FEL #6  
I would leave the FEL on as well. I mow up to about 15 degrees on the Tiltmeter but no farther. Hopefully that give me room for error. :) The only time the FEL is removed is when I have to work on the engine.

If you are in doubt about the safety of going across the hill then mow backwards up the hill.

Later,
Dan

/ Should I remove the FEL #7  
Personally, I find the FEL useful when mowing rough areas. The FEL can be used to push over materials that might otherwise be combersome under the tractor. Additionally, if you added some weight to the bucket and kept it close to the ground, it might make it more stable. If you do this, you would have to monitor the bucket position at all times, but I do this anyway.

good luck

SI2305

I agree with leaving the loader on (been in several situations where slamming the bucket down in a hurry helped prevent a roll over). However with a CUT and most rubber tire industrial backhoes, your stability (side to side movement) is based on how the rear tires are sitting on the ground (unless you're sitting on the bump stop on one side of the front axle). Adding more weight to the loader bucket shifts weight to the front axle and off the rear, which makes it easier for the machine to rock to one side or the other on the front axle pivot. This of course really only becomes an issue if you're on a side slope.

/ Should I remove the FEL #8  
I'd be more worried about the tires slipping in the grass and creating a new barn door. :eek:

/ Should I remove the FEL
Thanks everybody for your input. I drove up and down this area with the FEL and BB on going slow and in four wheel drive The only area I have stayed away from is the tallest in the center about three quarters of the way down it feels as if there is a small drop off,I will wait until it is bush hogged and look at it. The tractor feels more stable going up the hill then it did coming down. But I am also going to have to mow uphill because I don't have room to turn at the base with the FEL on due to the chicken house (I don't think Perdue would like it if I parked the tractor with the chickens :rolleyes:)

/ Should I remove the FEL #10  
I believe i'd mow going up hill and leave the FEL on. I've always felt it was safer to mow up hill, then have the bush hog help push you down the hill and loose traction.