Should it overflow?

/ Should it overflow? #1  
Tractor
Kubota B6100 - 4x4
Quick question:

I am preparing to do a complete fluid change on a newly acquired B6100. I am replacing the gear oil in the differential and front wheel hubs ...... when refilling, do I fill until it overflows? How do I know that it is full?

Your input would be great!

Cheers!

Eric

/ Should it overflow? #2  
Eric, did you get an owners manual with your tractor? I remember once my little brother asked to help while I was working on a car, I told him he could add the engine oil to a engine I was working on, funny as when I came back from getting some parts he was putting the oil down the dipstick tube and he had it just about to the top of the tube as he told me he was just about done! Got to love your bother!

/ Should it overflow?
Hello Art,

Yes I did. It gives the amounts to add ..... but considering that there is always pockets of oil that remain, the capacity stipulated in the manual will only provide me with the maximum amount.

How do you know when you've added anough? Can you put in too much gear oil?

Cheers! And thanks for your response.

Eric

/ Should it overflow? #4  
Kubota In Canada said:
...How do you know when you've added anough? Can you put in too much gear oil?...
Maybe the older manuals aren't as good as the one I got w/ my new GL3240, which has detailed drawings of each maintenance procedure. In my case the drawing clearly shows three plugs on the left front axle (4WD)...
* a drain plug down low
* a check plug mid way up the axle housing
* a filling plug on top of the axle housing

The instructions tell you fill the axle (using the filling plug) until a little bit runs out of the check plug. Then screw in both plugs.

FWIW this is SOP for "gear boxes" in nearly all vehicles (e.g. manual transmissions, differentials, etc.).

Talon Dancer

/ Should it overflow?
Thanks for the info. I looked in my Operator's Manual. It provides the amounts, type of oil, fill and drain plugs BUT no sign of a check plug. Not sure what to make of it?

Once drained, would it be wrong to fill it up to the fill plug? Anyone have experience in the mater?

Regards,

Eric

/ Should it overflow? #6  
Kubota In Canada said:
Thanks for the info. I looked in my Operator's Manual. It provides the amounts, type of oil, fill and drain plugs BUT no sign of a check plug. Not sure what to make of it?

Once drained, would it be wrong to fill it up to the fill plug? Anyone have experience in the mater?

Regards,

Eric

Pull the fill plug and look for a dipstick on the bottom or a check plug on the side of the gear case in question.

/ Should it overflow? #7  
Kubota In Canada said:
...Once drained, would it be wrong to fill it up to the fill plug...
This depends on WHERE the Fill Plug is relative to the top of the "gear box". I have NEVER seen a "gear box" which you fill to the top. They always need air space -- typically 1/4 to 1/2 of the vertical height of the case.

FWIW it is common practice for the Fill Plug to be located on the side, roughly 1/2 to 3/4 of the way up, a "gear box". In these cases, you simply fill the lower section of the "gear box" until it begins to dribble out of the fill plug hole. When the fill plug is on the side of the "gear box" you almost always need to use a syringe like filling device (or gear oil in a squeeze bottle).

Talon Dancer

/ Should it overflow? #8  
Talon Dancer is right with filling a gear box. They do need room.