Should Kubota L2800 HST 4x4 pull 6' Finish Mower?

/ Should Kubota L2800 HST 4x4 pull 6' Finish Mower? #1  

bota3400

Should Kubota L2800 HST 4x4 pull 6\' Finish Mower?

I had my new Kubota L2800 HST 4x4 delivered this evening with the new Bush Hog RDTH 72 6' rear discharge finish mower and was not impressed to say the least. This tractor is rated for Hp as follows: 29hp Gross, 27.5hp Net & 22.5hp PTO. It would not pull on level ground except at full throttle with the pedal to the floor in Low speed! It would not even think about High and bogged real bad in Medium speed selection. The grass was was only 3-4" tall and not thick at all either. Note though that it did cut a beautiful cut! If this tractor is that sick and it is brand new, then I have gotten into a big mistake! Looks like something is not right here with this combo. I may be going back to trade it in and go with an L3400 HST which would have 27.5hp @ PTO! Please HELP!!!! Anyone with this tractor or advice. Thanks,AL /forums/images/graemlins/mad.gif

/ Should Kubota L2800 HST 4x4 pull 6' Finish Mower? #2  
Re: Should Kubota L2800 HST 4x4 pull 6\' Finish Mower?

IMO, your under powered. No one should have sold you a gear drive tractor with just 22 pto hp to power a mower of that size. With the throttle wide open you might be able to power it , but your speeds will never work out right. I'd jump to the L3400 without question.... but thats me.

/ Should Kubota L2800 HST 4x4 pull 6' Finish Mower? #3  

Hmmmmmmmmm.....My B9200HST ran a 6' RDFM with just a noticable amout of extra effort, all flat mowing? Was I abusing it? Didn't appear to be. I'm asking because I respect Messick's knowledge and opinion.

/ Should Kubota L2800 HST 4x4 pull 6' Finish Mower? #4  

</font><font color="blue" class="small">( IMO, your under powered. No one should have sold you a gear drive tractor with just 22 pto hp to power a mower of that size. )</font>

He shouldn't be underpowered.
I have a gear drive JD 850 (22 PTO HP.) with a JD 6' belly mower. Powers the 6' mower with no problem at all and mowing speed is determined by how fast you can stand the bumps not lack of power..
The original poster has a hydro transmission..

/ Should Kubota L2800 HST 4x4 pull 6' Finish Mower?

You are correct, I do have a Hydrastatic drive. It just seems unfair to loose from 29hp @ engine down to 22.5 @ PTO. That is one heck of a drop! According to Kubota's website, the L3400 with 34.7hp @ engine drops down to 27.5hp @ PTO with HST itself. That is more drop than my new L2800 has.
One of the guys from the dealership came out to try it himself and he is kinda baffled too. He thinks that it should pull the 6' RFM just fine but, is gonna call Kubota next week to confirm it. He said that I may need to drop down to a 5' RFM instead but, I bought the tractor for a 6' to start with. In this case, I could only use a 4' rotary cutter since they take more efort than the RFM.
I am wondering if there is something out of wack from the factory that may be drawing more Horsepower than we think. He said that they could take the tractor to have it checked for that if we need it. I am just ill after spending that much money and then this happens. I am thankful that the dealer is very helpful and is willing to do whatever it takes including working with me on going with another tractor if it comes down to that. Please continue to chime in with your thoughts. Thanks

/ Should Kubota L2800 HST 4x4 pull 6' Finish Mower? #6  

<font color="blue"> with the pedal to the floor </font>
That is the problem. The pedal is a gear shift so to speak. The closer it is to the floor the higher the gear you are using. As the engine rpms drop or the going gets harder, let up on the pedal.

/ Should Kubota L2800 HST 4x4 pull 6' Finish Mower? #7  

</font><font color="blue" class="small">( Hmmmmmmmmm.....My B9200HST ran a 6' RDFM with just a noticable amout of extra effort, all flat mowing? Was I abusing it? Didn't appear to be. I'm asking because I respect Messick's knowledge and opinion. )</font>

Obviously you can do it, but your at the very low end of being okay. We deal with mostly Woods finish mowers and they ask for 25-40 hp for a 72" RFM.

/ Should Kubota L2800 HST 4x4 pull 6' Finish Mower? #8  

bota2800
The RDTH72 should work on that tractor. Keep the engine RPM's up in the 2300 to 2400 range. Don't crowd the hydro with your right foot or you will loose power, it isn't like the gas pedal on your car. This should be a good combination of tractor and mower.
Lewis

/ Should Kubota L2800 HST 4x4 pull 6' Finish Mower? #9  

i pull a 60" Befco RFM with my B2400 (24 engine hp) and have no problem at all as a matter of fact i could go faster with no problem except the ground is too rough and it would shke me to pieces. so i should think YOU should be ale to handel a 6' mower.

/ Should Kubota L2800 HST 4x4 pull 6' Finish Mower? #10  

I'll chime in here - I used a 90" rfm with 29 pto hp and it was barely enough power - that would be approximately proportional to having 23.2 pto hp for a 72" mower. I worked ok for dry grass on level ground - but if the crop was dense or wet, or if mowing up a slope, it bogged down. It also depends on your place - is it straight smooth going where you might want to go faster or are there lots of turns and things to mow around or rough ground?

My bet is you will be happier with more tractor. The 90" rfm works well with 35pto hp - so a 72" would seem similarly capable with 28 or thereabouts.

UPDATE - dooh ! I just saw your other thread. It looks like you're headed toward a more satisfying setup. /forums/images/graemlins/cool.gif