Shut Down or Leave it Running Loading FEL

/ Shut Down or Leave it Running Loading FEL #31  
I agree - company policy not to leave vehicle with engine running.
Around here the phone & electric companies also ad the requirement that the driver place traffic cones in front of and back of the vehicle any time they're not in it (even if they're only walking 10 feet away).

/ Shut Down or Leave it Running Loading FEL
Dan,

Thanks for the tips, so will now run 1200 RPM or so when loading etc.

Regarding loading with the engine off, usually the stuff I am loading, rocks, pavement, wood, the FEL bucket is on or near the ground so I am not concerned about leakdown or sudden changes in elevation that would pin me or anything else. The small rocks - 1 foot or so are a devil to get in the bucket so manual seems to be the best process. The bigger rocks I use a prybar and or position them with the FEL or BH for pickup.

Thanks again for the feedback and concise advice.

Carl

/ Shut Down or Leave it Running Loading FEL #33  
<font color=blue>"...the driver place traffic cones in front of and back of the vehicle any time they're not in it..."</font color=blue>

That's a safety function that forces the driver to physically check in front of and/or behind the vehicle for anything (or anybody) that might have been placed there when the cones are picked up. I think it goes back a good 10 years or so, after one of the big companies, like maybe AT&T discovered they were having all kinds of accidents from drivers driving over things. It's the same reason so many utility trucks/vans have those convex mirrors hanging off the left rear corner.

Rozett,

It is company policy for UPS and USPS workers to shut down when they depart the vehicle no matter how long or short the duration. Fedex seems to have the same policy, however Airborne does not per my experience. Based on the **** retentive attitude of the operational side of UPS/USPS regarding operating costs and driver productivity and such there must be a compelling argument for this activity other than just saftey aspects.

Carl

/ Shut Down or Leave it Running Loading FEL #35  
I was a diesel mechanic for 16 years, and still people in the shop would argue this topic. I would let it run if anything under 20 minutes and going back to work for a couple of reasons.
1) when you shut down any engine the tempeture spikes up before it starts to cool due to no air or coolant flow. By the time it starts to cool you'll be starting it back up.
2) Consistant & Constant operating tempeture is a good thing in any engine and while the coolant heats pretty quickly, the other fluid temps come up at a slower rate.

However, most all diesel engines carry VERY low oil pressure at idle, therefore you should ALWAYS increase you're idle speed (with the throttle) to around 1000-1200 rpm when allowing you're engine to run and not working it.

/ Shut Down or Leave it Running Loading FEL #36  
CARL: during cold weather i let it run, but doing work such as u describe. i go by a 5 min. rule. if i figure to be off more than 5 min. i shut it down.just personal preferenc i guess, but don't u think u might want to break that concrete out of the bucket?

/ Shut Down or Leave it Running Loading FEL #37  
That is consistent with advice I've received from other mechanics:

Engine longevity is a stronger function of thermal cycles that of normal operational hours

Frank,

Been off line for a while so late in responding.. It's asphalt and 4" thick so I put the big pieces in the bucket and broke them down with a sledge rather than picking up the small pieces. Tried the BH but it was taking too long.

I usually let it run for 5-10 minutes, but I find when I shut down I slow down, (take more breaks).

Carl