Shut it down or let it idle?

/ Shut it down or let it idle? #1  

Ironhand

Bronze Member
This weekend, I was pulling a number of small trees I had dropped across my lawn to an area I was going to burn the brush. I was pulling them to the pile, limbing them, piling the limbs, then grabbing the next tree. While I limbed each tree and piled the limbs, the tractor would idle for maybe 15 minutes each time.

I'm wondering, is it better for the tractor to idle and wind on the hours, or shut it down and restart? My first diesel...

/ Shut it down or let it idle? #2  
This weekend, I was pulling a number of small trees I had dropped across my lawn to an area I was going to burn the brush. I was pulling them to the pile, limbing them, piling the limbs, then grabbing the next tree. While I limbed each tree and piled the limbs, the tractor would idle for maybe 15 minutes each time.

I'm wondering, is it better for the tractor to idle and wind on the hours, or shut it down and restart? My first diesel...

i have a 4310 who's engine was first used for a generator so i understand and was designed to run at 3600 continuously, on the tractor it's derated to 2850 or so

diesels like to run at speed and carbon up at slower speeds

/ Shut it down or let it idle? #3  
I shut mine down if I don't want to listen to the noise. Don't see any reason to burn fuel and add wear/tear to the engine as long as it will start up when needed.
If it were old and tired, or weak battery and I didn't want to get hung out in a remote area, then I'd prolly leave it running. :)

/ Shut it down or let it idle? #4  
Why idle - ever? If you get off the machine it should be off, if your off for more than a few short minutes.

Shutting it down saves fuel, wear and tear, hour meter ( for resale ) a idle hour counts the same as a working hard hour, safety reasons,.

/ Shut it down or let it idle? #5  
I agree shut it down if it's going to be more the 5min.

/ Shut it down or let it idle? #6  
Another vote for 5 minutes. That's what I do. My manual also refers to carbon buildup.

Attachments

• Idle.jpg
    Idle.jpg
    174.8 KB · Views: 267
   / Shut it down or let it idle? #7  
I uasualy shut down if it's going to be over 5 mins.

/ Shut it down or let it idle? #8  
I always shut down. Have found that once I get off things tend to take time and it's a while until I am back in the seat....IMHO, anything more than 30 seconds warrants a shut down. Exception would be if you have been running at high RPM a long time and it is hot...and needs a cool down period at idle.

/ Shut it down or let it idle?
Great. Thanks for the quick replies.

/ Shut it down or let it idle? #10  
Depends on the temp outside. If it is cold -10 Let the thing run.