Shuttle shift

/ Shuttle shift #21  
A powershift is exactly what it sounds like. In a powershift tranny,you can shift up or down(hydraulic controled) within a range under power with out clutching. Ford invented the first one back in the 50s once again (the SOS or Select-O-Shift)

You can have a powershift in combination with a shuttle of some type. Older tractors often had an inline shift for a forward range,to corresponding reverse.

/ Shuttle shift #22  
Well you can also shift right into reverse as well so what do you call it now???

/ Shuttle shift #23  
Richard :

I've had three tractors with shuttle shifts. Two Massey TO's and a Case 580. All three of them had a clutch and a seperate shift lever located near the steering wheel. You used the clutch to shift into any gear and start moving. And on the Massey's you used the to shift between forward and reverse. Now the Case Once you were rolling you could shift without the clutch, but you still had to manually shift up or down. Same with the shuttle for foward and reverse. The forward/reverse shuttle and changing the gears were two seperate operations.

/ Shuttle shift #24  
<font color=blue>...Select-O-Shift...</font color=blue>

Ugh....! /w3tcompact/icons/sad.gif One of Ford's worst disasters... You could never keep them running...

Every now and then, you'll see one at an auction that goes dirt cheap... unless you have some people from NYC that fight over it... /w3tcompact/icons/blush.gif

/ Shuttle shift #25  
Kodiak,
Were they called shuttle shifts? I still don't know what you would call the powershift then as it does both the forward and reverse shifting without the clutch and it does clutchless shifting either up or down as well.

/ Shuttle shift #26  
Well now........I'd have to guess at maybe calling it a Reversing Powershift,or hows about Powershift with Power Reverse....... Find the brochure for the tractor you're talking about and find what the marketing spin-doctors decided to christen it with! You might just find a very interesting turn of phrase.

/ Shuttle shift #27  
Hey John,

From what Mac used to say,they were way ahead of their time like the David Brown full auto tranny of the early 60s. Problem was no one was ready for them,nor ready for the maintenance they took.

I always heard that S.O.S meant Send Out Service!!

/ Shuttle shift #29  
<font color=blue>...nor ready for the maintenance they took...</font color=blue>

Amen...

To this day... people would be hard pressed to find any of the 'old mechanics (very few and far between, especially when the "factory people" themselves didn't fully understand the concept...) that understood the inner workings of them... it was truly "released" before it's time... /w3tcompact/icons/blush.gif

The all-time blunder of Ford's tractors was the Select-o-Speed coupled with the Ford 6000... I don't think it ever got any worse than that... /w3tcompact/icons/frown.gif

/ Shuttle shift #30  
If I try to remove the various manufacturer's brand names from the terminology, I think at the end of the day there are two features that we are talking about.

1) Clutchless gear speed shifting. This allows clutchless changing of gears (from fast to slow etc) while travelling in any one direction.

2) Clutchless direction changing. This allows for clutchless transitions from forward to backwards and vice versa. Any gear speed can be used depending on how much whiplash you can stand.

These features can be available in combination or separately depending on make and model.

Is this an accurate summary for those of us who are brand-feature challenged?