shuttle shift

/ shuttle shift #1  

Anonymous Poster

How does a shuttle shift work. Do you have to use the clutch every time you shift like a manual transmission in a car. Reading the posts on HST's makes me think thats the way to go. Any chance Kioti might eventually go this way?

/ shuttle shift #2  
I haven't looked at Kioti (no dealers anywhere close) but some makes come with an optional transmission that eliminates the need to clutch when changing directions with a shuttle, the AGCO ST35 with PowerShuttle is an example.

/ shuttle shift
It depends on which model you are talking about. The new DK series all have fully sync'd shuttles and trans. Which means you can shift speeds just like a car. The sync'd shuttle allows you to go between forward and rev by clutching and changing the direction(it doesn't grind). You still need to come to an almost complete stop before letting out on the clutch (when changing directions). The 1914 and 3054 both have a syncromesh trans and a mechanical shuttle. This means you have to come to a complete stop before changing direction. This shuttle will grind if you don't. The 2554 doesn't have a shuttle shift.

/ shuttle shift #5  
<font color=blue>Pitbull where are you located?? </font color=blue>

SE Iowa

/ shuttle shift #6  
<font color=blue>...How does a shuttle shift work. Do you have to use the clutch every time you shift like a manual transmission in a car.</font color=blue>

Well, speaking from a <font color=green>Deere</font color=green> standpoint, there are two variations. One is the SyncReverser, which does require the clutch, and the other is the PowerReverser, which doesn't.

I have the SyncReverser on my new 4300, and I absolutely love it. I had an HST on my only other tractor, and I find this much more to my liking. You just push in the clutch, roll to a stop (or use the brakes if needed), pull the lever back, and ease out the clutch. Perfect for frequent direction changes as in pushing snow. Plus, and this is the biggy for me, the pedals are all where we are conditioned to expect them.. brakes on the right, clutch on the left.

I've never tried a PowerReverser, so can't comment on that.

/ shuttle shift #7  
I've wondered this myself, particularly after operating a friends dozer with shuttleshift. Best I can tell/guess is there must be two clutches. One for forward and one for reverse. When you move the lever it simultaneously disengages one while engaging another. At least this makes sense to me but maybe someone else actually knows how these things work /w3tcompact/icons/smile.gif

/ shuttle shift
From the <font color=orange>Kioti</font color=orange> point of view they work the same. <font color=green>Deere</font color=green> and <font color=orange>Kioti</font color=orange>.

/ shuttle shift #9  
with shuttle like on the 3054 there is no need for reverse in the transmission. the shuttle must change the rotation of the output shaft from trans to differential. what you get is a very easy transition from forward to backward. also the ground speed will be the same in both directions if the trans lever stays put. so effectively with 4 speeds and hi-low gears there will be eight possible ratios in both forward and reverse. it really is the way to go.

/ shuttle shift #10  
I suspect one clutch, with a forward/reverse transmission ahead of the multi-gear transmission. Two clutches would mean two clutch pedals, and subsequent confusion as to which pedal to push?
Some tractors have double clutches on the same pedal, to get live PTO. Push the clutch pedal part way to disengage the clutch to the transmission, and all the way to disengage clutch to the PTO.
My previous JD '58 420 had a forward/reverse ahead of the transmission. Only one clutch, as it did not have live PTO. An operator can be very rough on the internal parts and gears if trying to shift from one direction to the other quickly, thus having the mass of the tractor moving in one direction, and suddenly trying to get that mass moving in the other direction. The power shifters can ease that load somewhat. Its best to stop motion in one direction before shifting to go in the opposite direction.