Shuttle Shifter issues

/ Shuttle Shifter issues #1  

Krisfarmlady

Tractor
555D Ford
Hi all, hope one of you can help me.
I have a 1994 555D Ford backhoe and when I have been using it anywhere from 20-30 min the shuttle shifter stops working and it won’t go forward or reverse. After it cools down it can be used again…. What is causing this? It’s a real pain and can’t get much work done…. Any help or advice would be greatly appreciated.
Thank you!

Attachments

• IMG_8437.jpeg
    IMG_8437.jpeg
    2.5 MB · Views: 57
   / Shuttle Shifter issues #2  
Welcome to TBN.

When it does this, it won't even try to move?
If you lift the back end off of the ground and engage the shuttle, do the wheels move or try?

/ Shuttle Shifter issues
Thanks for the reply.
It won’t even try.

/ Shuttle Shifter issues #4  
How does the:
shuttle shifter stops working

Does it have a mechanical linkage?
My '95 Kubota m4700 has done similar a few times.
The shifter mechanism on my M4700 is comprised of several rods connected by metal joints. Each time it stopped working the shift lever where it connected to the transmission was binding. A liberal application of my favorite lubricant freed it up.
The first time was a panic, the second time an "oh well, here we go again",

/ Shuttle Shifter issues
How does the:

Does it have a mechanical linkage?
My '95 Kubota m4700 has done similar a few times.
The shifter mechanism on my M4700 is comprised of several rods connected by metal joints. Each time it stopped working the shift lever where it connected to the transmission was binding. A liberal application of my favorite lubricant freed it up.
The first time was a panic, the second time an "oh well, here we go again",
I am being told it is electric fed/2 wires.

/ Shuttle Shifter issues #6  
It is an electrical shifter buy the heating up and stopping is baffling.
Power comes from the fuse block to the foot switch/clutch and the shifter and loader buttons, then to the controller module mounted I believe under the steering column. If power is disrupted along that line, such as clutching, the transmission goes to neutral.
If you jumped that line and fed the controller directly, you could identify any wiring or switch problems as your culprit if it stayed moving after 10-20 minutes.

It sounds more like heat related, though. The module getting hot and not working is unlikely. The solenoids that control direction are at the top of the bell housing and could be the problem, but both forward and reverse at the same time doesn't make sense.

Lastly, you could have a pump problem where the oil heats up, thins and the clutches won't hold.

Difficult to diagnose over the internet, but possible problems it could be.

/ Shuttle Shifter issues
It is an electrical shifter buy the heating up and stopping is baffling.
Power comes from the fuse block to the foot switch/clutch and the shifter and loader buttons, then to the controller module mounted I believe under the steering column. If power is disrupted along that line, such as clutching, the transmission goes to neutral.
If you jumped that line and fed the controller directly, you could identify any wiring or switch problems as your culprit if it stayed moving after 10-20 minutes.

It sounds more like heat related, though. The module getting hot and not working is unlikely. The solenoids that control direction are at the top of the bell housing and could be the problem, but both forward and reverse at the same time doesn't make sense.

Lastly, you could have a pump problem where the oil heats up, thins and the clutches won't hold.

Difficult to diagnose over the internet, but possible problems it could be.
Ok, thanks for the feedback, let me get this to my son and let him do some more checking based on this. Will see what he finds out. Someone had told him to take out the fuses and clean them up real good and that might work. He did try that and it worked but don’t know if it was that or it had just cooled off enough. Thank you!! Will keep you posted.

/ Shuttle Shifter issues #8  
Have been able to narrow down your problem?

/ Shuttle Shifter issues #10  
I was thinking the same as TractorTech. Since it seems to be heat related would point to a possible problem with the pump.