Sick of cutting grass in WNY

/ Sick of cutting grass in WNY #1  

Von

Veteran Member, Advertiser
Tractor
Kubota B2710
Sorry to upset all the good people in Texas, but I am getting just alittle tired of cutting the grass every 4-5 days. It rains almost every other day here in western NY and the grass is growing like early May. I have 5ac. of yard here, and another 3ac. at my shop. It seems that all I do is cut grass! And now with it getting dark so early I don't have time for my other projects. I know I could be in Texas, but when will it slow down?

Von

/ Sick of cutting grass in WNY #2  
Won't be long, Von, before all this rain we had this summer turns into snow /w3tcompact/icons/frown.gif. That will (finally) stop the grass problem. Since we are expected to have frost this weekend in Maryland, I'm guessing they are calling for you to have the same.

/ Sick of cutting grass in WNY #3  
Von, are you looking for sympathy (you won't get any here) or just bragging?/w3tcompact/icons/laugh.gif I haven't needed to mow in 2 months now. "Officially" Dallas didn't get any rain yesterday (it's measured at the D-FW airport), but some parts of the city got over 2.5". The thunderstorms then went south down I-35 and missed me on the west by about 10 miles. This afternoon thunderstorms came from the south up I-45 and missed me on the east (actually got a sprinkle that almost - not quite - got the car wet)./w3tcompact/icons/frown.gif I must be living wrong, I guess./w3tcompact/icons/frown.gif

Bird

/ Sick of cutting grass in WNY
Bird,
I'll take half of your sunshine for half of my rain! Sounds like a good deal to me! It will soon be hunting season and I don't want the grass to get in the way of bow hunting!

Von

/ Sick of cutting grass in WNY #5  
If my cows could read this post they would be hitchhiking up to NY. Bird, those south bound thunderstorms actually reached down here. I got a whole 2/10ths at my place the most we have had since June.

/ Sick of cutting grass in WNY #6  
Von,
I know what you mean,even over here NH the lawn etc.. are thick and juicy but the ground is wet which makes it hard to mowe./w3tcompact/icons/frown.gif
Kinda have to watch the weather station and burn some vaction time to mowe./w3tcompact/icons/frown.gif
But once we get our first good heavy frost that will indeed slow down the growth./w3tcompact/icons/wink.gif
Instead of mowing than we be plowing soon. /w3tcompact/icons/laugh.gif

Take care and stay /w3tcompact/icons/cool.gif

Thomas..NH

/ Sick of cutting grass in WNY #7  
Bird,

I saw the flooding streets in Dallas on the news. Must have made you sick. Funny, not a drop at DFW, from what they said. Atlanta is expecting its first lows in the 50's this weekend. I'm ready for fall.

/ Sick of cutting grass in WNY #8  
Temperature down to 67F this morning; lowest we've seen in a long time (normal is supposed to be 68 to 87), and we even have a little dew for the first time in at least a couple of months.

Bird

/ Sick of cutting grass in WNY #9  
I live near Ft. Worth and we got a whopping .05 inches (my rain station) so don't believe everything the news reports. They would have been more accurate to say that they got 2.5 inches in one very small locality, but news people have begun to think they all work for the GLOBE and want to report sensational things. Guess the common things are just too dull.

With the cooling off today will come crickets by the bucketfull, but no rain yet in sight.

/ Sick of cutting grass in WNY #10  
That is the reason I planted 7.5 acres of coastal bermuda. When it grows, you cut it and bail it and sell it or feed it during the winter. Maybe you have the wrong kind of grass. /w3tcompact/icons/wink.gif