sickle mower keeps tripping safety (?)

/ sickle mower keeps tripping safety (?) #1  

idbill

Tractor
Ford 640, 1955 (?)
Hi all, total newbie here. I'm first-time using a Dearborn 14 15 sickle mower on a Ford 640, just trying to mow a pasture. The far end of the mower seems too low and keeps sticking, and that trips the release (which I figure is a safety feature?). There's no swath board, but from what I can read that's only there to help windrow the hay and isn't totally necessary. Seems like the outer shoe should be more like the inner shoe, taller and wider to keep the end from sticking on uneven ground.

Anyway, if anybody can point me in the right direction for doing a simple sickle mowing job without tripping the release every ten feet I'd appreciate it.

- Bill

/ sickle mower keeps tripping safety (?) #2  
Can you adjust the bar pitch and see if it helps

/ sickle mower keeps tripping safety (?) #3  
Yes. it should ski the end of the bar. Doesnt need to be as big out on the end because theres a lot less weight on it. Is there a spring mechanism that can be adjusted to apply some lift to the bar as it pivots down? Should be. plus tipping the mower back a little should help.
larry

/ sickle mower keeps tripping safety (?)
Thanks for the replies. I'll try the bar pitch and/or tipping the mower.

Bill

/ sickle mower keeps tripping safety (?) #5  
Hope we didn't mess you up but pitch and tipping same diff.,just screw out on top-link:D

Sorry, showing off my ignorance again. Thanks.

/ sickle mower keeps tripping safety (?) #7  
The skid on most cutter bars are adjustable and yours might be to low.

/ sickle mower keeps tripping safety (?) #8  
Hi all, total newbie here. I'm first-time using a Dearborn 14 15 sickle mower on a Ford 640, just trying to mow a pasture. The far end of the mower seems too low and keeps sticking, and that trips the release (which I figure is a safety feature?). There's no swath board, but from what I can read that's only there to help windrow the hay and isn't totally necessary. Seems like the outer shoe should be more like the inner shoe, taller and wider to keep the end from sticking on uneven ground.

Anyway, if anybody can point me in the right direction for doing a simple sickle mowing job without tripping the release every ten feet I'd appreciate it.

- Bill

There is a tension adjustment for the trip on the arm that goes to the right stabilizer clamp on the axle. You can also tighten up the cable that runs around the pulley. That will bring the tip of the bar up more. Ken Sweet

/ sickle mower keeps tripping safety (?) #9  
Did you get it lined out?

Perfect, thanks. Nice to know now what some of those cranks and levers are for :) I'm also going to play around with the tension per Ken's reply above.