Sickle Bar Sickle Mowers

/ Sickle Mowers #31  
Re: Diesel vs Gasoline

Wen,

You said, "6 HP diesel is exactly the same as 6 HP gasoline."

Wow! This is not what I've read here and on other boards for over two years. So, a 68 hp gas engine put into your M6800 would do all of the same work? Same torque? Same economy?

Why do they make diesel truck engines if they are exactly the same as gas and gas engines cost less? Why do Semi's use diesels if gas will do the same?

JimBinMI

We boys and our toys!

/ Sickle Mowers #32  

6 apples = 6 apples. One group has more juice. Different taste. Different smell. Different chrome trim.

"What is a weed? A plant whose virtues have not yet been discovered."
Ralph Waldo Emerson (1803-1882)

/ Sickle Mowers #33  

HP is a measure of the amount of work an engine can do. It doesn't care how much fuel it takes to do the work or waht the torque curve is. Diesel is more efficient for steady load with more torque which is why it is preferred for tractors, semi's etc. It also develops more torque at lower RPM's than a gasoline engine. (Also less complicated, heavier built and better longevity) I think what he meant was 6hp is 6hp whether from a gas engine, a diesel engine, an electric motor, or 6 horses!!

/ Sickle Mowers #34  

Not sure about the real horses (they are strong) or electric motors - which pull some fast ones of their own.

Yes, design determines the torque curve rather than the fuel. That said, diesel is much higher compression and can get higher torque with a smaller piston and better fuel efficiency. Highest gasoline compression I ever drove was 11 1/4:1 and it sure wasn't a tractor. /w3tcompact/icons/smile.gif

/ Sickle Mowers #35  

HP is a fairly limited concept of work. It doesn't tell you much about how a machine actually performs on the ground. However, the definition if HP is fairly standard and is identical for diesel and gas engines, not withstanding various alternative definitions such as Metric and French units.

Torque/HP curves are determined by engine design. However, diesel fuel probably has an inherent advantage at low RPM's, and most diesels are tuned to produce power at low RPM's.

/ Sickle Mowers #36  
Re: Carpal Tunnel/mowers \"off topic\"

8/9

Wen, my wife also wears the braces a lot and her CTS is indeed pretty stable. But all she has to do is something like bus tables in our restaurant one night, or, worse, work in the kitchen swinging our heavy 6 gal pots, and trouble happens. My own non-professional conclusion is that with NSAIDrugs (anti-inflamatory) the braces can hold off the need for surgery, but cure is a big leap. Time will tell.

Some of you have referred to vibration (such as trimmers and walking mowers) as an aggravating factor. Anne would say a big yes to that, also /w3tcompact/icons/frown.gif.

Good luck to ye sufferers and "use more implements" /w3tcompact/icons/wink.gif,

Jim

/ Sickle Mowers #37  
Everybody might check out a book called "Pain Free," by Peter Egosque. There is a section on CTS.

My wife came across the book, and it does seem to be good for what 'aches' me. I've had lower back injuries most of my life except when I was in soccer training, but I did have a flock of other sports related injuries.

I did manage to escape CTS despite 10 years of Conga drum playing. I believe the surgery has a fairly low success rate, and it's good news if yours turned out well. Surgery or not, CTS often is a career ender for a percussionist.

The methods described in the book require very few exercises, but laying around in odd positions is required. The methods seem to be a good management tool for me. I don't like drugs or surgery Chiropractic seems to get rid of the pain quickly, but may not produce a long term remedy for me. Physio (physical) therapy may have potential, but you about have to show up in a wheel chair before a physio can think of anything other than ultrasound. I shouldn't knock physio, because a year and a half of it did save me from back surgery. I did a real number on the back doing my own roady work in the sound business. Guess I should have been a 'hard businessman' and just left clients with big ideas and small budgets fend for themselves. Client supplied roadies weren't very reliable.

Anyway, using methods in the book seems to be putting visits to professionals much further apart than in recent years.