Side by Side or 4x4

/ Side by Side or 4x4 #132  
My wife and I have been looking at getting a side by side for running up and down the mountains in southeast KY. It seems the cheap ones start at about 8000 and they go up from there. The JD Gators can easily be 25000. Even used the resale seems fairly high for what it is.
My daughter was looking at a 2013 RAM 4x4 shortbed - 185000 miles. It was $6500. I took it for a test drive and it seemed fine - it needs a new heater core which I'm factoring in.

I can't really see why the side by sides are so high when a truck like this probably can about everything for just driving around the homestead - and maybe once in a while driving into town.

Why would someone get a gator/side by side if you can get a beater 4x4 truck for less money? What am I missing here?
What are you thoughts on this?
We’ve had a Kawasaki Mule and now a Gator. The Mule (older model) was jerky and hard on my back. I rode in a Gator with a friend across his very rough SE Colorado ranch. When I got home I ordered a Gator and I haven’t regretted it for a minute. it certainly has some quirks that I’m not fond of, but overall I love it. Much smoother ride, which is essential for my arthritic back.

also:
Side by sides are fun!
And like you said, resale prices on Gators seems to say they hold their value fairly well.
Good luck, your argument for an old beater is valid - just personal preference

/ Side by Side or 4x4 #133  
Agree,a truck is an all around better idea,towing,hauling,power and like you say,run to town,i would love to have a gator but just not affordable or practical,i bought a 90 jeep wrangler for $5k thats not alot bigger footprint than a sidexside but more useable and parts are cheaper and any labor i can do
Here is where we use an atv at work... No truck or suv do this and its PSI is far, far lower.
6x6415.jpg
6x6418.jpg

/ Side by Side or 4x4 #134  
We have a 16 mule 610 and it is great and can be had cheaper then most others. I rely on it for firewood duty, it gets worked hard and put away wet. Load it up almost to the roof level with firewood then park in the garage. I pull wood from it for2-3 days then go out back and load it up again. 6 cord this year 7 last year. It’s a nice machine, simple design. Neighbors gator is a lot more machine, a lot more powerful $ a lot more $$$. in my case the mule was better suited for us.

/ Side by Side or 4x4 #135  
My wife and I have been looking at getting a side by side for running up and down the mountains in southeast KY. It seems the cheap ones start at about 8000 and they go up from there. The JD Gators can easily be 25000. Even used the resale seems fairly high for what it is.
My daughter was looking at a 2013 RAM 4x4 shortbed - 185000 miles. It was $6500. I took it for a test drive and it seemed fine - it needs a new heater core which I'm factoring in.

I can't really see why the side by sides are so high when a truck like this probably can about everything for just driving around the homestead - and maybe once in a while driving into town.

Why would someone get a gator/side by side if you can get a beater 4x4 truck for less money? What am I missing here?
Because some people value material things more than money in the bank.
Lord, if I just had the money I spent on new cars between age 20 to 50 I could have retired 5 years earlier. Took me 30 years to realize vehicles take you to destinations and back home basically the same. Best money you ever spent on a vehicle is one that you completely wore out and isn't repairable.

/ Side by Side or 4x4 #136  
Because some people value material things more than money in the bank.
Lord, if I just had the money I spent on new cars between age 20 to 50 I could have retired 5 years earlier. Took me 30 years to realize vehicles take you to destinations and back home basically the same. Best money you ever spent on a vehicle is one that you completely wore out and isn't repairable.
Every time we are out working on trails, I say "gee, if I a had more $$ in my pocket, we'd get waaaay more work done" 😂

/ Side by Side or 4x4 #137  

I agree with the mini truck option. Lots of states now allow them on roads with speed limits under 40mph. Try to find one with a dump bed, 4-wheel drive and a high and low gear. They usually go for around $6500.

My Yamaha side by side would tear the living crap outta my lawn when turning. The rear diff is always locked. Really does a number on the turf. I may be wrong, but I think the entire lineup is still like that.

Mini truck won’t do that and I think they are about the same weight. Only issues with the minis is they are 💯 metal. Rust can be an issue.

/ Side by Side or 4x4 #138  
I agree with the mini truck option. Lots of states now allow them on roads with speed limits under 40mph. Try to find one with a dump bed, 4-wheel drive and a high and low gear. They usually go for around $6500.

My Yamaha side by side would tear the living crap outta my lawn when turning. The rear diff is always locked. Really does a number on the turf. I may be wrong, but I think the entire lineup is still like that.

Mini truck won’t do that and I think they are about the same weight. Only issues with the minis is they are 💯 metal. Rust can be an issue.
Yamaha maybe that way, but I’m on my fourth Can-Am defender, and they all have a turf mode, I can make a tight U-turn, and not even make a mark on the grass

/ Side by Side or 4x4 #139  

I have a 2006 Yamaha Rhino, and it has a lockable (and unlockable) rear diff, in addition to 4x4. Sure glad to have it this year, we're at 288% of normal rainfall so far.

/ Side by Side or 4x4 #140  

Get the truck and also a cheaper golf cart with a bed and knobby tires. A raised golf cart will go 90% of the places you want to go, is cheaper to maintain, and quicker. (not faster, but quicker. sit down and go, not sit down and find neutral, get it started, find forward then start to rev it up. Meanwhile the golf cart is 100 yards across the field). The truck and golf cart makes a lot more sense financially.