Side by side UTV's

/ Side by side UTV's
I started this thread and appreciate the advice on machines and lately winches...but to update...the 2016 Honda Pioneer 700 "went for a ride" on Sunday. We are nearing the close of our massive trail system season around here and the trails are certainly in need of grooming after a long season especially after the wet summer we have had that has much of the trail full of large pot-holes and/or wash-board surface. The machine was amazing...it is going to need some steering adjustment because the wheels will go straight but the steering wheel says differently (the "Honda" logo is no longer anywhere near horizontal). It's still under warranty and it has to be back anyway for initial service. Fuel capacity is 7.9 gals and according to the LCD graphic bar we may have used 1.5 -2 gals. to go 40 miles. On the rough trail surface I have to say that the ride was better than I expected (no blood and as far as I can tell no visible bruising). Most of our trail is sand/dirt/gravel but there are parts that go to pavement and even though the "break-in" schedule cautions against it I did get to 45mph for a short bit and it would go faster if needed I think. Now to the trailer...the machine says 60" width and is probably correct. I bought a 10'x5.5' (66" width) utility trailer this spring to haul my ZTR mower to my MIL's house not far away. Without a "spotter" loading and unloading this new toy is "tricky"...the ramp/rear gate is not 66 wide". So now debating whether to take a beating on my nearly new trailer and spring for its 10'x6' utility trailer cousin (rated load capacity still above the weight of the "wet" weight of the toy) or whether to open up the checkbook for a much more expensive trailer...we are only a few miles from any of several trail heads with parking. With that update out of the way, has been opined here about a "hard-top". Honda issue or after market? Same poster said to get a 2 piece windshield but one site said they needed to know what kind of top I had or would be adding. Any thoughts/suggestions?

/ Side by side UTV's #162  
Do you have mirrors? I would try mounting a couple of 48" fiberglass driveway markers to the back corners of the trailer to make it easier to see them when loading or unloading (also helps when backing the trailer up in the dark)

Aaron Z

/ Side by side UTV's #163  
Didn't take it that way at all. Was just varifying apples to apples.

I'll check em out. Thanks for the info.

Great - it is hard to communicate tone in these messages and I often just am throwing things out there. Everyone has what is best for them but I love options!

As for line speed - 65FPM - that is BLAZING fast!

/ Side by side UTV's #164  
Great - it is hard to communicate tone in these messages and I often just am throwing things out there. Everyone has what is best for them but I love options!

As for line speed - 65FPM - that is BLAZING fast!

Don't grip the cable anywhere near the fairlead!!!

/ Side by side UTV's #165  
Your not kidding - you would be known as three fingers in a second flat

/ Side by side UTV's #166  
I've really enjoyed my Linhai Bighorn 28 LX the last few years. Its been my "legs" to get around our property and is a useful "tool" at times. As an off brand it lends itself to folks willing to perform their own service. Its price was attractive so I decided to risk it and its ideal for me. I don't run thru the woods at break neck speeds but when its muddy I have 4wd available and it works very well. They have some sort of relationship with Yamaha.

About the only negatives I have with mine is the parking brake is a wimp,no power steering and due to the under armor draining oil is a messy enterprise. Other'n that its been great.

Perhaps top-side oil extraction? That's what I do for my cars (MKIV TDIs) and for my UTV (Yanmar diesel).

/ Side by side UTV's #167  
Perhaps top-side oil extraction? That's what I do for my cars (MKIV TDIs) and for my UTV (Yanmar diesel).

Top side access is cramped too. I've resorted to attaching some clear tubing to a funnel and snaking it back by feel to the fill hole and dribbling new oil down. Its no good if you're in a hurry but atleast for my use its a once a year detail. One of the nice things about this engine is it does not have an oil filter to worry with but it does have a spring loaded drain plug with wire mesh screen that you need to "catch" when removing the drain plug and inspect. On my first oil change there were a few metal shavings but nothing since. I've also found the air filter a challenge to locate but the dealer does carry them and I have ordered them over the phone successfully so far. Its a nicely thought out machine once you appreciate its simplicity. Mine did come with a winch mounted up front but I've never used it.

/ Side by side UTV's
Do you have mirrors? I would try mounting a couple of 48" fiberglass driveway markers to the back corners of the trailer to make it easier to see them when loading or unloading (also helps when backing the trailer up in the dark)

Aaron Z
You may have hit on a "shark-tank" invention there...I wouldn't put fixed mirrors on the machine (trails can get pretty narrow and from what I can tell the experienced trail riders use a hand-held mirror when the trail shares with a vehicle traveled road for a mile or two) but retractable mirrors on the trailer to be able to see the passenger side of the ramp? Perhaps not glass but polished stainless? The machine is pretty beefy and the trailer fit is tight. Would be nice to see that rear right wheel during the off-loading process!

/ Side by side UTV's #169  
You may have hit on a "shark-tank" invention there...I wouldn't put fixed mirrors on the machine (trails can get pretty narrow and from what I can tell the experienced trail riders use a hand-held mirror when the trail shares with a vehicle traveled road for a mile or two) but retractable mirrors on the trailer to be able to see the passenger side of the ramp? Perhaps not glass but polished stainless? The machine is pretty beefy and the trailer fit is tight. Would be nice to see that rear right wheel during the off-loading process!
If you put a 48" marker there, you should be able to see it over the side of the bed and not need a mirror (if not tall enough, they also sell a 60" version).

Aaron Z