'side car' bale loader

/ 'side car' bale loader #11  
I remember we had a pair of them when i was a kid , I do remember everyone being very glad when perry loaders and flat 8's came around after. It was a pain moving them from farm to farm and they did'nt load very high so it was awkward finnishing off 8-9 layer loads they worked well though.

/ 'side car' bale loader #12  
We generally used a 2 ton truck to haul with and we could get over 100 bales per load, way back when, now with a dual axle trailer, we can get 120+. The cost for a bale wagons is high for PT farmers, just making hay for horse lovers... :)

/ 'side car' bale loader #13  
You must have used 3 string big honking bales. We get 80 in a regular 1/2 ton.

We generally used a 2 ton truck to haul with and we could get over 100 bales per load, way back when, now with a dual axle trailer, we can get 120+. The cost for a bale wagons is high for PT farmers, just making hay for horse lovers... :)

/ 'side car' bale loader #14  
My memory is getting shorter and shorter... probably more bales than 100... like 160? Oh well, 75+ has clouded the distance a little :))

/ 'side car' bale loader #15  
G'day these were/are very common over here and were made by a few different manufacturers but the best of them was the one made by new holland ( just for the aus market i believe ), we also had quite a few local engineers that made hay 'elevators' for loading from the truck into the stack usually powered by a 3.5 - 4 hp motor in fact the one at home was prob bought back in the early 60s and is still used today. They are a great idea and i have memories of shifting a couple of thousand a day on an 8 ton with a rack above the cabin so we could get about 350-400 a load ( if my memory is correct) with my dad, brother and uncle, used to do a bit of contract too was a good way to earn a bit of money then hard but honest

Jon

/ 'side car' bale loader #16  
never saw a motor on them they were land drive off the wheels !

/ 'side car' bale loader #17  
Field elevators were land driven in our country: stack models used electric motors... and were without wheels, just handed up to the top of the load and worked their way down as the bales moved to the stack.:eek:

/ 'side car' bale loader #18  
G'day just read what i wrote and it does sound confusing ( hmm seemed ok when i wrote it :laughing:) the loaders used in the paddock to load onto the truck were ground drive and the stack elevators were engine powered

Jon

/ 'side car' bale loader #19  
Hi there our family transport business still currently runs about 20 mc connell hay loaders as we are picking up around 130 000 conventional hay bales a season. Our hay loaders would have pick up millions of bales as we have been in business for 30 years they are well build piece of machinery and have served us well.