Side-hill safety

/ Side-hill safety #1  

chelydra

Silver Member
Tractor
Ditch Witch
Having finally passed the 100-hr mark on my CK20HST, I'm getting a little bolder about using the machine's power. Still tend to stay down around 2500 RPM even for heavy lifting, but have the used the full 3000 in a couple of tight spots. BTW, since the oil was pretty dark, I went to change the filter too. Turned out none of my wrenches would fit in that tight space, so I'm shopping for a new filter wrench. What do other people use?

With toothbar at last installed, I'm doing some more serious landscaping. Some of this really needs side-hill digging and smoothing with the FEL. I find that I just can't make myself do it - feels too unstable. I've done much more aggressive stuff with a Bobcat, where the low CG and stiff tires make it feel a lot safer.

When I walk some of these areas, they look almost flat - say 15 degree slope. When I estimate the position of CG relative to the wheels, it looks fine. It just *feels* very dangerous.

Is there an easy way to estimate safety margins short of chaining the roll bar to a tree with a little slack and actually tipping the tractor? Or is this one of those things where experience prevents error, but only error gives experience?

Thanks-

NBB

/ Side-hill safety #2  
Can you do any of this work up and down the slope? That would be much safer. If you are not comfortable with working on a slope, then don't. Hire it out to someone who is more experienced. Nothing wrong with that. Make sure you work safe and do what you feel comfortable with. Just remember to keep the loader bucket down low to the ground while on a slope. Keep the roll bar up and keep the safety belts on and tight. Personally I would not push it past your comfort level. Sometimes you only get one chance to make a mistake on a tractor. Good luck!!

/ Side-hill safety #3  
My farm is hilly with some steep hills and there are days when I just can't force myself to go up and down, other days the stars must be aligned correctly and I go over the same area without a second thought. I've talked with people who have rolled their tractors and it happens so quick that you really don't know what's going on. My friend rolled his with his two kids riding on the fenders, they jumped off but he wasn't so lucky, he did some serious time in the hospital. With experience comes confidence but I wouldn't attempt anything that makes you feel uneasy.

/ Side-hill safety #4  
That pucker factor feeling is all you need. The only way to know when you're pushing it too hard is to feel it in your butt or when you fall over. It's not the actual slope of the hill but so many other things like the lifting and dropping of the loader and rolling a tire up onto a rock or down into a hole that give the tractor momentum towards tippage. If it was smooth grass that you just had to drive across then you can consider the actual angle and even use one of those tip meters. If you are working on the sideslope then all you have is your butt to tell you when you're pushing your luck and I would listen to my butt. On good days, my wife even says my butt speaks for itself and she can even hear it, it hasn't let me down yet.

It took me a long time to realize that it is nearly impossible to tip a dozer over. I still couldn't overcome the pucker factor on sideslopes with it. I never tipped though.

/ Side-hill safety #5  
Highbeam, I hope you don't mind if I butt in here. /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif I have to say I agree with you completely. I have rolled over a tractor and came within inches of rolling a dozer. I was backing down a steep grade that terminated at a stone and mortar wall and there after an 8 foot perpendicular drop. As I was inching my way down the right brake band broke. The lever came back and hit me and the front of the tractor started turning quickly to the right. I held fast with the left lever and she spun 90 degrees before stopping. That right track was dead center parallel on top of the wall. A few more inches and I am sure I would have been airborne. All this in the blink of an eye. That was some kind of pucker factor. /forums/images/graemlins/blush.gif Ok, now I will butt out. /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

/ Side-hill safety #6  
Doesn't someone make a filter remover that fits over the end of the filter. I think it's just a friction fit and then turn sort of deal but it may help.

As someone who had a MF275 up on two wheels on a slope before it came crashing back down, right side up, let me say that if it gets you feeling uneasy, don't do it.

As someone else said, it is strange how working on slopes affect you. Some days I feel just fine about running across my slopes and the next day I feel uneasy for some reason. I also feel more comfortable if the left side of the tractor is high on the slope. It's also strange how different machines can get different reactions. I've never really felt safe on that Massey since the day I almost rolled it. My little B2400 also feels "tippy" so I never take it on slopes much over 15 degrees because that's where I start to pucker. I almost rolled it too when one of those little wheels fell into a hole. We have a M5700 that I feel pretty safe on but the ol' JD 820 makes me feel so comfortable that I probably take it places where I shouldn't. There's really no logic to it.

I think it was Bird who parked his tractor, a B2710 I think, on a 15 degree slope, got off and tried to give it a push to see how close to the tipping point it was. It was as solid as a rock, so 15 degrees is probably safe most of the time unless you start to slide, hit a hole, etc. No, usually when I get to 15 degrees, I'm starting to look for a way out of there.

/ Side-hill safety #7  
Frank, I've used the B2710 on 15 degrees, but didn't like it. The day I parked it and got off to see if it would push over, I was on 18 degrees.

/ Side-hill safety #8  
Bird, that was a gutseeee move! If i tried that i just know the thing would be cartwheeling down the slope while my neanderthal brain said, "Now that was smart!"
And yep, i was working up on a wheeler trail trying to get to my food plot by widening the trail so the Ck would fit. There is this one section that has a limestone outcrop that runns along one track causing the dirt on the other track to waller out. As soon as the CK was in that angled position the pucker factor started. I really tried to work thru it(don't know the angle) but finally the little voice won and i backed down the trail. Now what i need is a small dozer............sheeze this heavy equipment thing is addicting /forums/images/graemlins/smirk.gif!

RD

/ Side-hill safety #9  
I have no problem getting my regular filter wrench in. Just crouch down facing the filter and slide the wrench in from the right hand side between the loader bracket. Slip the end of the banded filter wrench over it, it takes a little finesse, and crank away.
The one that's a real bear is the transmission filter underneath. First time I changed that one, I had to get my brother to help me push and twist. The filter was quite bent by the time is finally gave in.

As for the slopes, regardless of whether you're comfortable or not, GO SLOWLY. As has been alluded to, a depression hidden in the grass can get the momentum going. Have the loader up just a little too high, and moving a little too fast and that's all it takes.

Follow your butt er gut instincts and don't be worried about being afraid. That's what keeps one alive. Better to be safe and in good health than to find out if it will tip over, and since you're not really sure of the angle, you did the right thing to avoid it.

If you have a boxblade, you may be able to back up to the digging spot for leveling it out and not have the tractor sideways.
John

/ Side-hill safety #10  
All this slopes and tipping talk has me butt puckered to the max! It also begs the question, how good is the ROPS and the seat belt in a roll over! Some of U guys sound like ur related to Evil Kinevil! /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif