Snow Attachments Side wing on a snow blade?

/ Side wing on a snow blade? #11  
A wing (sorry no pictures) that I built for a plow like a rear blade was just a wood 2x6 that would extend the top half of the blade out to the side. This would not clear the snow below about 4 inches, but would move the windrow of snow out away from the blade so it did not slide back down onto the plowed area. The 2x6 was in brackets behind the plow that would allow it to slide back out of the way and could be pinned in either position - out or in. Worked very good. There is less stress and strain keeping the snow moving that is already moving in that direction. The wings on most road plows are used like that, to just roll the snow in the windrow back away from the roadway.

/ Side wing on a snow blade?
Pete,

<font color=blue>Hmmm, this post has me thinking again</font color=blue>....I like the idea of the rubber horse mat, just need to come up with a way to make it "quick release" for when I need to turn the blade around.

Kevin

Beenthere,

Any chance for a pic?? Not sure what that would look like.

Kevin

/ Side wing on a snow blade? #14  
Post a pic of your blade, and I will draw in the setup I used to have. Don't have it anymore, so can't post a pic for you.

Beenthere,

I'll take a snapshot tonight and post it.

Thanks,
Kevin

/ Side wing on a snow blade? #16  
I added to my plow about 8" on each end,and works real good even plowing at 45 degrees..rear tires are 8" or so from the wind row.

Next time I fab the ends of the plow,I shall make it even foot..much better.

Straight pushing also piling up the snow,much cleaner and quicker. /w3tcompact/icons/smile.gif

Last edited:
Not a great photo, I was going to take a couple but the batteries died in the camera.

Kevin

Last edited:
   / Side wing on a snow blade? #18  
since you're not talking "big" .... 3 bolts c/w wingnuts would make it "quick release" .... and you could probably even make it "reversible" so it could be used on the opposite side.
As small as you're talking, you likely wouldn't even need a backer plate ... just fender washers to provide the support.

pete

/ Side wing on a snow blade? #19  
Knight9
I touched up your photo with the approach I found to work well for extending the reach of the blade, at least for moving snow further back so it didn't fall back into the path the blade had just cleared.
This could be a bit out of scale, but the idea is to have two brackets that capture a 2x6 or 2x8 behind the blade. Removable with a couple pins.

Attachments

• 5-228676-RearBlade.jpg
    5-228676-RearBlade.jpg
    64.8 KB · Views: 230
Beenthere,

Thanks for taking the time to draw that up! I appreciate it, and can see now what you were describing. Certainly worth a look.

Kevin