Sidehills with a cab vs without

Status
Not open for further replies.
   / Sidehills with a cab vs without #11  
Never seen a roadside mower w/ duels? Got some pics, Many of those operators have frequent underware changes. Ther primary purpose for tractors is twofold: one is visibility and the second is roadspeed so they can get back to the barn to change their shorts.

And dont laugh too hard, wouldn't want to to loose your balance. The OP is not mowing the roadside, CORRECT?

I'll get pics tomorrow at work, duels won't hamper visibility at all, and certainly don't cause reduced speed. Like I said this setup will cut grass on slopes that you can barely walk up.

/ Sidehills with a cab vs without #12  
Nope not in the least, the horse power could be less but I wouldn't go below 85 really 100. What I posted is what will get on a steep slope and cut grass safely. But if he only has a few acres then that would be different. You look at what road ROW crews use on GRASS, LMAO, I've never seen them with a freaking skid steer, LMAO!!

Here in AL I have watched those ROW mowers on I22 that looked like they were at 45 degrees mowing sideways. I do know that they have tilt alarms in those cabs.

/ Sidehills with a cab vs without #13  
I don't do any kind of mowing with my M6040. However, I've been on a couple steep side slopes. The feeling I get while trying to maintain contact between my butt and the seat - - Well, I don't care what anybody says - - I would not remain at that angle and mow grass, not even for God himself.

Somewhere - I saw a tractor mowing steep slopes and it had an outrigger on each side. The outrigger on the downhill side is always down - the uphill side is always up. There was some kind of big 'ol tire at the outboard end of each outrigger.

/ Sidehills with a cab vs without #14  
Somewhere - I saw a tractor mowing steep slopes and it had an outrigger on each side. The outrigger on the downhill side is always down - the uphill side is always up. There was some kind of big 'ol tire at the outboard end of each outrigger.

Tractor Training Wheels!!! :D

/ Sidehills with a cab vs without #15  
So a 3 to 1 is what, 25 degrees? Man that is steep I see guys doing it with heavy tractors in our area (larger ag style with outboards) wheels weighted, they are in a cab...

I like my slope tractor, but I do pine for those that have a cab. What about an Antonio Carraro?

/ Sidehills with a cab vs without #16  
To the OP,
3:1 slopes are common. That's the standard ditch slope for state and federal highways. Down here in the deep south, almost every tractor mowing the highway ditches has a cab. That being said, they're almost all green, and big. (most are 6000 series, some 5000) JD's are typically much heavier than the same HP tractor of any other brand. All of that weight between the wheels helps to keep the sunny side up.

My 5085M and 5083E both have the tires set to maximum width. My pond levee is a 3:1 slope. I'm sure the tractors would be fine, but the operator is NOT! :D Just call me chicken, but I mow up and down. :eek:

Said all that to say this: I don't really think that a cab makes a huge difference in how top-heavy a machine is. According to the specs, my 5085M cab accounts for 750# on the weight of a 8000# tractor. And some of that has to do with air conditioning compressor, condenser, etc. That part of the extra weight isn't in the cab itself, but in the engine compartment, between the wheels. If you're comfortable mowing the slopes with an open station tractor, I think you'll be fine with the cab tractor.
JMHO

/ Sidehills with a cab vs without #19  
Is the tractor the OP mentioned available with the two piece rims with the ag tires? That will provide the widest stance when set up for it.
I would NOT choose radials for continuous steep side hill operation, while they do provide a good increase in pulling traction they also roll considerably under side loads.
While I'm not a fan of liquid ballast in this application I would like it along with wheel weights if I was always up hill with the same side I'd put all the Bolt on weight on the high side

/ Sidehills with a cab vs without #20  
There is a wheat farmer down south of me about sixty miles - just outside Endicott - that has one of those tractors that can "tilt". So while driving horizontally on a side hill - the frame and cab can be perfectly vertical. It is a big Ag tractor - think its a Versatile. Really blows your mind to see it come off flat ground - go around a hill and plow the side of the hill with the cab tilted. Wonder how they keep the disks or chisel plows from sagging down behind the tractor.

Status
Not open for further replies.