Sig P239 - Whats a good used price?

/ Sig P239 - Whats a good used price? #11  
I'm surprised that the P239 stayed on the shelf that long! Used ones are few and far between around here, and usually sell within a few days. I can only guess about the New Hampshire stamping, it must have been one of the early models. Neither of mine have that on them, just the West Germany thingy. In my opinion, one of the best carry pistols ever made, the perfect size. So far, four people who've looked mine over have since bought their own, and one of them was a die hard Glock fan!

/ Sig P239 - Whats a good used price?
Gunny - I was also shocked it was still there.. I was at a local gun show last weekend and couldnt find a P239 new or used anywhere.. It seems that the new P224 (sub compact 9mm, with a double stack mag) are what is being pushed - there were plenty of them..

I have nothing else in .40 (and plenty of 9mm ammo), so I am going to look for a used EFK or bar-sto 9mm conversion barrel and turn it onto a 9mm..

Too bad Sig wont make a .22 conversion for the P239 - I have one for my P229 and its fun and cheap to shoot.. It was actually cheaper to buy the pistol as a .22 then add the upper conversion. At the time a new P229 in 9mm was about $850, i got the pistol for $525 and then got the 9mm slide/barrel for $319 - $844 for the combo.. BUT .22 mags are $50 each UGHH, and they are not even metal mags

Brian

/ Sig P239 - Whats a good used price? #13  
You might want to check out the classified section at sigforum.com for a 9mm barrel.

You'll have to join if you're not a member, but it's a good forum and they keep an eye on prices being asked. Good place for sig sauer info

/ Sig P239 - Whats a good used price? #14  
I'm guessing the reason it sat for so long was because it was in a .40:p

Even in a 226, the .40 has more snap at least for myself than any of my 220's.

Bar-Sto makes a .40 to 9 conversion barrel, but keep in mind, if you order one, you still may need to send the slide or entire gun back to Bar-Sto.

I've got 2 of their conversion barrels myself, great product, but one had to be sent back to be retrofitted.

/ Sig P239 - Whats a good used price?
I'm guessing the reason it sat for so long was because it was in a .40:p

Even in a 226, the .40 has more snap at least for myself than any of my 220's.

Bar-Sto makes a .40 to 9 conversion barrel, but keep in mind, if you order one, you still may need to send the slide or entire gun back to Bar-Sto.

I've got 2 of their conversion barrels myself, great product, but one had to be sent back to be retrofitted.

I think you are correct - there seems to be little love for the .40 S&W LOL

Everything else I have is 9mm, so I am debating to buy .40 ammo, or convert it to a 9mm.. I am debating between the bar-sto or the EFK fire dragon conversion barrel. They both get great reviews, but the EFK is about $50 cheaper..

Do you know if any competent gun smith could fit the Bar-sto barrel, if needed? OR do they have to go back to Bar-sto

Brian

/ Sig P239 - Whats a good used price? #16  
Do you know if any competent gun smith could fit the Bar-sto barrel, if needed? OR do they have to go back to Bar-sto

Brian

I'm guessing if the competent smith has a good machine shop where he can do some trimming he could do it, but I'm guessing Bar-Sto has all the necessary machinery and is used to doing that kind of barrel work.

Call me old fashion, but it seems the 239 was "given" the .40 after the .40 became so popular, but the 239 was designed for the 9mm. For myself, I KNOW with a 239 in a .40 I wouldn't be nearly as accurate as either a 239 in 9MM or even with 220 in a .45

Bar-Sto will take just the slide back, but they recommend for "the best fit possible" to send the whole gun back. If you do it "by the book", that means next day air. That said, it's been a known fact that Sig has gotten pistols back via 2nd day air (generally half the price of next day air charges).

Per your slide question, you have to remember Sig in the USA started out in Tyson's Corner in Virginia THEN moved to New Hampshire. Depending on the models and years made, some frames were made in Germany and imported in and the slides made in the US. Now you have complete pistols (slide and frame) being manufactured in the US. The one you just bought that has the "West Germany" on the frame is an older model (the one stampe New Hampshire is a newer produced gun). I remember when you only had 4 models to choose from and they were all black LOL They have so many models out now that it's hard to keep track of (although most now are all made in the US).

Some argue that the "all German made guns" are better. Personally, if you're sticking with either the 220/226/228/229/239 design, no matter where they're made, they should all function 100% just as well as the almighty Glock. That said, the .40 is to me an american bastardization of the 10mm and doesn't belong in a Sig:laughing: (only my opinion and we all know what they're like). I think I'm also mad at the .40 because it's the one round I'm not that accurate with. Heck, I can even shoot a full load 10mm just as well if not better than the .40. Just me, but it has more of a snap than the .45 Don't feel bad though because a buddy had a G23 and he decided to go with a 9mm conversion barrel for it as well lol

It seems if there ever is a problem with a good designed pistol, it's one that was designed around the 9mm and they decide to fit it for a .40 (Browning high power and Beretta 92 come to mind).

Last edited:
   / Sig P239 - Whats a good used price? #17  
I have nines and 40's and like them both. I had to carry the Glock and got use to it, but still prefer the feel of the Sigs.