Silent Statement.

/ Silent Statement. #12  
I didn't have a number, everyone went, unless AG or College exemption.

lloyd

/ Silent Statement. #13  
You do remember those numbers. Mine was 323, but still somehow ended up in Laos and Cambodia on a crew as a "construction engineer" building LZ'z for that big white airline that flew there. That way when it was said "no American MILITARY personnel were in those countries", they were'nt fibbing. What strange times they were for us young and dumb.

/ Silent Statement. #14  
Well, to be honest, I didn't end up going. I got a telegram to report to NYC for my physical. Then I got another telegram saying that my physical was canceled, no explanation, and I certainly wasn't going to ask any questions. I lived in fear for a while that someone screwed up, and I was going to be in some sort of trouble, but nothing ever happened. It's the only time in my life I really considered myself lucky.

/ Silent Statement. #15  
Yep, I was blessed. One of my older sisters who lived in Washington, DC, sent me a card in the mail and the only thing written on the inside was "347!". 'nuf said /w3tcompact/icons/smile.gif I was in college at the time and a number of people with low numbers got real interested in ROTC all of a sudden. /w3tcompact/icons/laugh.gif

/ Silent Statement. #16  
Yeah, Mike! Those were scarey times! I don't think kids today have any idea what it was like! Just like we really don't know what it was like for our parents to live through World War II.

/ Silent Statement. #17  
<font color=red>In 1984 -- almost 20 years ago I was walking through the library at Austin Community College and saw a kid watching a news reel from 'nam. I asked him if he was reviewing it for some class and he said " well yeah - history" I BLEW UP</font color=red>

I have to say, I was also one of those kids. Now that I am knocking on 40 its hard to imange. It just seems that It was never talked about when I was younger. I don't remember it on the news or anything. Kind of sad.....

/ Silent Statement. #18  
Rich - like you, I got a telegram to report for a physical, and later a notice cancelling it. It was around about the time that the draft was ending in 1972 or 1973. I was in college, dropped a class and stupidly dropped below 12 enrolled hours for a semester, and got the dreaded yellow paper. My number was 86. Sure is funny how we remember our draft numbers, huh?

/ Silent Statement. #19  
I can't remember what my number was, or would have been had it made a difference. I do remember the notice from my Draft Board that my 2S was changed to 1A in April or May 1967. I got a good laugh from it, and sent it back to them with a note politely declining their invitation to the dance. My heart might have skipped a beat, except at the time I was at Lackland Air Force Base in the middle of Air Force Officer Training School with an assignment to Undergraduate Pilot Training after graduation.

I never heard from them after that. Being from the small town of Lampasas, Texas where everybody knew everybody else, my Dad said that he got a lot of mileage razzing the chairman of the local board about how hard up they must be if they were drafting people out of the Air Force.

/ Silent Statement. #20  
I too do not remember what my number was.... but I believe it was in the middle so I had a great chance of getting drafted. /w3tcompact/icons/shocked.gif

However, I opted to join the Navy Reserves and was in boot camp when the Selective Service pulled the first numbers. The numbers spread like wildfire at boot camp and there were many sad faces when they found out that there number was high and they didn't have to be in the service. /w3tcompact/icons/sad.gif/w3tcompact/icons/mad.gif They just had to finish out boot camp and look forward to 3yrs and 9 months of active duty in the Navy!! /w3tcompact/icons/shocked.gif

Terry