Silo blower converted to leaf blower

/ Silo blower converted to leaf blower #11  
to make the "more centralized intake" what about just drilling a lot of 1/3" or 1/2 " holes to keep unwanted stuff from being sucked in

BTW it will also help to get a burn pile going real well and cut the smoke volume too!

tom

/ Silo blower converted to leaf blower
I am also curious about the pass a dime and toss a nickel test.

Jimgerken:

I am using a 33 HP Massey. I am sure I have more than enough power.

Tommu56:

That drilled holes is a great idea. This will allow me to optimize the intake size and avoid the extra cost of a protective screen.

/ Silo blower converted to leaf blower #13  
I'm not art, but I think I can explain the dime / nickel thing...

If the blower vanes will pass a dime (dimes thickness of clearance) and toss a nickel (not enough clearance for a nickel) you should have a pretty good fit.

Dunno if the nickel being plugged would make a difference tho... :p

/ Silo blower converted to leaf blower #14  
If the blower vanes will pass a dime (dimes thickness of clearance) and toss a nickel (not enough clearance for a nickel) you should have a pretty good fit.

Yes . . Clearance between band and tip of blower blade.

I'm wondering how this would work as a truck loader. Slide the band back to silo position add the silo pipe/chute.
Make a hose connection where the hopper inlet used to be and suck/blow leaves "till the cows come home."

/ Silo blower converted to leaf blower #15  
I helped a friend build one of these with a cotton picker blower. he used it to vacuum them and also blowing and for brush piles. It works great for wet brush.

/ Silo blower converted to leaf blower #16  
Wondering how you did with this project. Pics would be great!

/ Silo blower converted to leaf blower #17  
i would use expanded metal grate instead of drilled holes, faster to do, more air flow, cheaper.:thumbsup:

/ Silo blower converted to leaf blower #18  
I'm not art, but I think I can explain the dime / nickel thing...

Dunno if the nickel being plugged would make a difference tho... :p

Good Job!!!!

/ Silo blower converted to leaf blower #19  
Just wondering if anyone has any ideas about pully sizes to use with 540? i got mine built and now it wont blow leaves very well. I dont think its over spinning it, i dont think i got enough speed. I got a 12" pull on the pto side(540 pto) and a 4" on the fan. So i figured it should be turning it 1-3 and at pto speed should give me about 1500 rpm(aprox). I built a duct to dirrect air but it didnt seem to help much. Any input would help as im lost now.

/ Silo blower converted to leaf blower #20  
I just purchased a used walk behind 5hp leaf blower as I have a ton of oak leaves. I am very curious to how this turns out. I hope to see a lot of pictures.:thumbsup: