Similar to the 'upgrade' thread......time to let it go?

/ Similar to the 'upgrade' thread......time to let it go? #1  

dkmc

Bronze Member
Tractor
1957 IH 330, Mustang 342. Woods Zero Turn, Forklifts, Machine Tools, Welders,
I bought a 1957 IH 330 Utility back in 1991. Split the tractor and replaced a broken Bull Gear in the trans.-rearend. 12V alternator upgrade, cleaned and painted it up real purdy. Used to to brush hog for many years, plus back blade the driveway with DIY back blade. Motor is some what tired, it has some blow-by, but doesn't use any oil. The paint isn't looking so fresh now, although it's always stored indoors. Probably shine up with a good washing. Along comes GF in about 2013, and along with her comes her 2011 MF 1529 with 5' BH and FEL. I think I used my tractor about 2X since. It's been in the neighbors barn unused and not started for 3? years now. Is it time to send it down the road? Oh...btw the 'significant other' situation seems pretty stable. Keep in mind, if that ever changed, I'd be......(gasp)....without tractor...
Thoughts?

/ Similar to the 'upgrade' thread......time to let it go? #2  
Are you attached to the tractor? Do you ever intend to fix it up?

If not, I would let it go.

First though, ask your GF what she thinks. She may have other ideas, and even may be considering selling her Massey.

/ Similar to the 'upgrade' thread......time to let it go? #3  
I had a70s IH2500b that I bought used around 1990 and used it until about 2001, when I bought our current machine. That little new machine did all the work for the next 10 years, and the IH just sat. I wanted to fix it up and sell it for $3K. Went to a salvage yard to get $1500 worth of parts, and the guy asked about it. Asked how much I wanted for it. He said $3K less the $1500 you're putting into it, I'll give you $1500 today for it sight unseen.

Took me about 5 seconds to say "SOLD!". He came and got it a few weeks later.

Might be time to send it to someone else. ;)

/ Similar to the 'upgrade' thread......time to let it go?
Are you attached to the tractor? Do you ever intend to fix it up?

If not, I would let it go.

First though, ask your GF what she thinks. She may have other ideas, and even may be considering selling her Massey.
Good points. I guess the blantant question is, how attached to the tractor......and all my other machinery am I. At this point (63) I think I still am. For my purposes, the work I did on it when I got it constitutes all the fixing up I intend to do on it. Overall it's in pretty good shape. GF is very easy going with this, we both know her diesel tractor (with 150 hrs) is way more usable, and I believe she is attached to it as well, so it's not going anywhere......lol. Long run.....big picture....common sense, I should probably sell it if I can get a decent price for it. Any ideas what it's worth?

Not the best pics of it...
IMG_20170829_094919.jpgmachine pics misc 10-20-08 019.jpg

/ Similar to the 'upgrade' thread......time to let it go? #9  
I would send it down the road, if you can get something for it. Don't know how much $$$ you have in it; but I would guess it's not building value, and you will probably need a battery to get it running. If it keeps sitting, might need to add wires, fluids, seat, filters, ect to it before selling it. Dang squirrel and other rodents like to eat everything on them. Also, the tires aren't getting younger, and if they sit flat for too long, the cracking can get pretty bad around the flat spot.

If you do decide to sell; I'm of the opinion that doing a full fluid change is a waste of money unless it's got water in it, and it has too have it. I think even with new filters and fluids, a buyer is not going to price that in, cause he/she will probably count on doing their own as soon as they buy.

Edit: I know you didn't mention a dead battery, or flat tires, I'm just guessing if it's been sitting for that long, it either has those problems or will eventually.

I would send it down the road, if you can get something for it. Don't know how much $$$ you have in it; but I would guess it's not building value, and you will probably need a battery to get it running. If it keeps sitting, might need to add wires, fluids, seat, filters, ect to it before selling it. Dang squirrel and other rodents like to eat everything on them. Also, the tires aren't getting younger, and if they sit flat for too long, the cracking can get pretty bad around the flat spot.

If you do decide to sell; I'm of the opinion that doing a full fluid change is a waste of money unless it's got water in it, and it has too have it. I think even with new filters and fluids, a buyer is not going to price that in, cause he/she will probably count on doing their own as soon as they buy.

Edit: I know you didn't mention a dead battery, or flat tires, I'm just guessing if it's been sitting for that long, it either has those problems or will eventually.
No battery in it, one front tire historically ends up flat. It's probably a shame to just leave it sit. If I get my mind in the right place I can and have let things go. Hardly ever any regrets after the fact. It's the initial let-go that's hard to execute.