Simplified fluid question.

/ Simplified fluid question. #1  

6011Artist

Gold Member
Tractor
1957 Ferguson 35, 1977? Yanmar 2200, 1963 Cub Cadet Original
Maybe I asked too much by asking how much transmission and hydraulic fluid my YM 2200 will hold in my earlier thread, so let me get back to basics. Would JD 303 be the right fluid in the tranny and hydraulics? I was really surprised to not get but 1 response and that was from someone not familiar with the 2200.

/ Simplified fluid question. #2  
The trans & hyd. use the same fluid JD303. Don't know about the cap. on 2200 but, the fluid is the same

/ Simplified fluid question.
Thanks Kenmac

/ Simplified fluid question. #4  
Artist, The fluids are NOT the same,JD303 is fine for the hyd. but the trans/rear end takes 80/90 gear oil ,about 4 1/2 gals.7 1/2 qts. is right for the eng.I also have a 2200. Jim

/ Simplified fluid question. #5  
Sorry Artist, I should have asked you. Do you have only 1 oil fill place in the middle of the transmission or do you have 2 fill plugs 1 for rear & 1 for the trans ??

/ Simplified fluid question. #6  
Artist, The fluids are NOT the same,JD303 is fine for the hyd. but the trans/rear end takes 80/90 gear oil ,about 4 1/2 gals.7 1/2 qts. is right for the eng.I also have a 2200. Jim

It shouldn't make any difference as my rear gears are lubed by the same hyd fluid that my transmission runs off of. Only difference ( in his) may be the seals wondn't hold the light weight hyd.fluid & may leak . My friend has a new mahindra that uses the same hyd fluid for the rear as the trans. I do use 80/90 in the front axle

/ Simplified fluid question. #7  
Kenmac, He isn't asking about your tractor, or your friends.His hyd. and trans. are seperate systems, and require different oils.Would you put JD303 in your front axle? That's what your'e telling him to do to his trans.* Jim

/ Simplified fluid question. #8  
That's why I asked the 2 nd time if he had 2 reservoirs on his tractor. I have put hyd oil in my front end . But, the seals wouldn't hold the thin fluid (leaked out) went back to 80/90

/ Simplified fluid question. #9  
Kenmac, He isn't asking about your tractor, or your friends.His hyd. and trans. are seperate systems, and require different oils.Would you put JD303 in your front axle? That's what your'e telling him to do to his trans.* Jim

How do you know?

Danny

/ Simplified fluid question.
Jim, thanks for the reply on the fluid capacities and the correction about tranny/rear using 80/90 wt gear oil. I want to put the proper fluids back in it. I am guessing it has never been drained and changed but was filled to full level after it was reassembled from the crate. Always good to hear from a YM2200 owner.

Ken, my 2200 has a seperate system for the hydraulics. The tranny/rear shares oil, only one fill/dipstick but the hydraulic also has a dipstick and sits on top of rear end.

Danny1, always glad to see your input. My parts arrived in good condition and appear to be the exact same as other steering shaft.

I like the seperate hydraulic system and external pump on the Yanmar. Unlike my Ferguson where the pump is submerged in the bottom of the housing between tranny and rear and shares fluid with drivetrain. It really complicates things where the YM is external and easily gotten to.

Jim, Danny, I just went out to check before answering Ken about how many plugs/fill places. I do not see ANY drain plugs on either the tranny/rear or hydraulic reservoir. Would I be right in thinking I have to pull the bottom inspection plate (held on by 4 bolts) on transmission to drain that system and possibly draining the hydraulics by unhooking the suction line from the hydraulic pump? That is my guess as to how to do it. Also, where is my screen on the hydraulics and how to remove to clean it?

Other than a water pump rebuild and steering rebuild I have never had any problems with my 2200. Great little tractor. Time to do some preventative maintenance to keep it from developing problems later.

Thanks for all the help guys. I am sure other questions will arise.