Simplisafe?

/ Simplisafe? #11  
I have had simplisafe in my house and shop for years. $19.99 a month. Works great. I get a text message instantly when the alarm is triggered and a few seconds later their dispatch calls. The only downside is it is all wireless and runs on AA batteries. The ones in the house do good and last a long time and the sensors in the shop last long but the keypad in the shop I replace the batteries on 3-4 times a year. The cold gets them I guess. The house keypad batteries last a year.

/ Simplisafe? #12  
I have had simplisafe in my house and shop for years. $19.99 a month. Works great. I get a text message instantly when the alarm is triggered and a few seconds later their dispatch calls. The only downside is it is all wireless and runs on AA batteries. The ones in the house do good and last a long time and the sensors in the shop last long but the keypad in the shop I replace the batteries on 3-4 times a year. The cold gets them I guess. The house keypad batteries last a year.

Try Lithium AA batteries for the shop keypad.

Aaron Z

/ Simplisafe?
Thanks for the responses! I'll certainly be checking out Dakota and iSmartAlarm, as well as SimpliSafe.
So far as defense if Mr. BadGuy shows up when we are home, we have the equipment and training (even momma has her c.c. permit and has on multiple occasions ridded the property of no-shoulders with her 20 gauge).
When we aren't there, we lock our stuff up as best as we can, but with the house hidden and neighbors not being exactly "right next door," the bad guys can quickly get in and out without a problem.
Hence, that's why I'm thinking alerting-type security for our personal safety and video for possible capture and/recovery would be sensible.
Thanks again!
(Any other ideas are appreciated!)

/ Simplisafe? #14  
I'm a retired US Navy electronics tech and I specialized in security systems and secure communications for Uncle Sam.

I don't normally make recommendations on products to people I don't know, but, SimpliSafe is the one product I will recommend.

Based on my research, I have it, 2 neighbors, 2 brothers and my sister have it as well as my (almost 90 year old) parents.

It's simple, solid and reliable.

For added security I would also add a Samsung "wired" camera system. A good high def system is available from most warehouse stores ( Sam's, BJ's Etc ....) for under $500. Easy to set up and if anything does happen, you have the video.

Just my 2 cents worth ...

/ Simplisafe? #15  
We are set back about 850' from the highway where we have a gate - set back about 70' from the highway. We wanted to know when anyone approached the gate - not only for possible intruders but also for package deliveries and guests, etc. so we could go and unlock the gate.

For years (5+) we have used a wireless alarm (link below). It beeps in the house whenever anyone approaches the gate. Very reliable and extremely simple to set up and use. There are options for multiple sensors and likely some with longer ranges. Again, it has worked perfectly for us and I will buy another if this one ever conks out.
Amazon.com: Chamberlain CWA2 Weatherproof Outdoor/Driveway Wireless Motion Alarm and Alert System, Includes 1 Battery/AC Powered Base Receiver and 1 CWPIR Sensor, Additional CWPIR Sensors Sold Separately: Home Improvement

/ Simplisafe? #16  
I have a driveway alarm as well--Wireless and works great..No crime here to speak of but the wife still wants a whole house security system. She'll talk me into it eventually. Guns and Dogs handle it now.

/ Simplisafe? #17  
I have a driveway alarm as well--Wireless and works great..No crime here to speak of but the wife still wants a whole house security system. She'll talk me into it eventually. Guns and Dogs handle it now.

timswi, I also have a gun nearby just in case. Before we had the gate at the highway we had a lot of "guests" drive up to the house saying they were looking for this or that. Never sure. I have beware of dog signs as well, but my dogs. . . well, they are every man's best friend. Also have a sign at the gate advising "There is nothing in here worth dying for." Seems to all work as no problems for past 20 years (since the gate and signs went up).

We have always felt that the locked gate and the very long drive way as the only way in and out, and inability to see much of what they would be going in for, were all deterrents. Anyone trying to decide to come in for mischief has to consider whether it is worth it to enter the unknown. So far no one has been that curious. And being lazy, thieves would not want to walk the 850' up to the "compound."

/ Simplisafe? #18  

As a local detective told me "You only have to justify the first shot, The rest are free ...."

/ Simplisafe? #19  
timswi, I also have a gun nearby just in case. Before we had the gate at the highway we had a lot of "guests" drive up to the house saying they were looking for this or that. Never sure. I have beware of dog signs as well, but my dogs. . . well, they are every man's best friend. Also have a sign at the gate advising "There is nothing in here worth dying for." Seems to all work as no problems for past 20 years (since the gate and signs went up).

We have always felt that the locked gate and the very long drive way as the only way in and out, and inability to see much of what they would be going in for, were all deterrents. Anyone trying to decide to come in for mischief has to consider whether it is worth it to enter the unknown. So far no one has been that curious. And being lazy, thieves would not want to walk the 850' up to the "compound."

Try a "Found Here At Night, Found Here In the Morning Sign"..We get the snoopers too...So far they have been harmless, more scared than anything and I'm not all that imposing.

/ Simplisafe? #20  
As a local detective told me "You only have to justify the first shot, The rest are free ...."

True that...A retired cop (before the castle doctrine) told me just drag the dirtbag back in the house after you cap him...Good lord, I don't even want to think about that.