Single axle trailering of a CUT

/ Single axle trailering of a CUT #21  
Problem solved...Sunbelt Equipment rental and $176 later, I have a 14' tandem equipment trailer for the job. Thanks for reminding me not to be a bonehead!

Good luck with your new tractor ! Wish I was getting a new tractor :(

/ Single axle trailering of a CUT #22  
Problem solved...Sunbelt Equipment rental and $176 later, I have a 14' tandem equipment trailer for the job. Thanks for reminding me not to be a bonehead!

Smart! :drink:

Now that I have two tractors, I'm starting to look at trailers....and grapples, and....you get the idea!

/ Single axle trailering of a CUT #23  
Lack of rentals with the weight capacity is why I now own a 20 foot carhauler with dual 6K axles and brakes on both axles. It cost me $3150 but I can safely load and haul my LS and any lesser tractor with it. I do need to upgrade my hitch for a bit more tongue weight capacity as I found out when loading 10 4x5 bales of hay on it. I had no way to balance the load to achieve a properly weighted tongue like I do with my tractor so it ended up with 4 bales in front of the trailer tires and 4 riding CL of the tires and two behind the axle. I really should have removed the two forward most bales and put them on top near the axles. I did manage to pull it ok but really slow. The hay was pretty lightweight as it had seasoned since last summer. No way would I put that on in green hay. Should have been using the F350 diesel that Brother in Law has been storing for his daughter even if the license are expired.

/ Single axle trailering of a CUT #24  
Figuring 10mpg while towing vs 20mpg truck alone for 600 miles and you get 30 gals of gas extra pulling your trailer outbound, around $100 at today's prices. You can put that outbound cost toward the rental of a proper trailer one-way homebound and maybe even come out ahead, plus you'll be far safer.
I don't know what you tow with but I get better mileage than 10 MPG towing a loaded trailer (my LS P7010 cab @9000#+)and empty I get almost the same as I do without a trailer. Once it gets rolling there isn't a lot of resistance to pull on the carhauler so 19 MPG is easy to achieve even at 70MPH. City driving would fall off rapidly if I had a lot of stop and go.

/ Single axle trailering of a CUT #25  

Sometimes it's better to bounce an idea off of third parties....You ain't a bonehead...

/ Single axle trailering of a CUT #26  

good choice!

we didn't want ya to get hurt or hurt someone else.

be carefull! / safe. happy trailering!

/ Single axle trailering of a CUT #27  
Is a bigger trailer better? Yes

Would your trailer work? Yes

The trailer may only be rated at 3500 lbs and that doesn't include the weight of the trailer (maybe 400 lbs) but no one on this forum seems to understand TONGUE WEIGHT. Weight that is NOT on the trailer and instead on the truck.

4000 lb tractor on 400 lb trailer with typical 20% tongue weight = 3520 lbs on the trailer total. Certainly not greatly exceeding the limits and with a single axle you can easily obtain 25-30% tongue weight with the proper hitch. (3,300-3,080 lbs on trailer)

Once again:

Would your trailer work? Yes!

For the money, I too would rent the trailer you got for that 600 mile trip but I would have no problem using your trailer for a trip across town.

/ Single axle trailering of a CUT #28  
hmm.. 4000 # tractor on a 400# trailer.

not me..

/ Single axle trailering of a CUT #29  
A 3500# axle, under a trailer with a mfg. plate that says GVWR 2990 and has no brakes? That's te most popular style I've seen. There arn't many 3500# rated trailers. Let alone ones with brakes. IMHO.

/ Single axle trailering of a CUT #30  

Would your trailer work? Yes

The trailer may only be rated at 3500 lbs and that doesn't include the weight of the trailer (maybe 400 lbs) but no one on this forum seems to understand TONGUE WEIGHT. Weight that is NOT on the trailer and instead on the truck.

4000 lb tractor on 400 lb trailer with typical 20% tongue weight = 3520 lbs on the trailer total. Certainly not greatly exceeding the limits and with a single axle you can easily obtain 25-30% tongue weight with the proper hitch. (3,300-3,080 lbs on trailer)

Once again:

Would your trailer work? Yes!

For the money, I too would rent the trailer you got for that 600 mile trip but I would have no problem using your trailer for a trip across town.

At the end of the day that 3500# trailer is going to weigh 800# give or take so that leaves 2700# for payload and adding back in a max 500# of tongue weight, max on the hitch, this still leaves you nearly 25% over.

Chris