Single Spindle Mowers 7'

/ Single Spindle Mowers 7' #1  

Anonymous Poster

Single Spindle Mowers 7\'

I am looking for a good 7' foot mower and have looked at bushhog 287,woods md184, and some other cheaper models.I am looking at the medium duty units and was wondering what others would recommend or have used. I have used a 1948 Ford 8n for the last 20 years with a Howse 5' mower and now plan on using an M6800 4WD with some type of mower. Any imput on brands or prices would be greatly appreciated. Especially those of you that have an M series above 45 H.P.

/ Single Spindle Mowers 7' #2  
Re: Single Spindle Mowers 7\'

Hi J Mac

I have a Kubota M6800SD with 4WD and have the Bush Hog 286. I think it is the best mower available and that is why I bought it. I was trying to buy the Rhino, but had an opportunity to study some well used mowers at the local Kubota rental. The Rhino chain guard brackets had been bent all over from backing into things - then the chains were long enough to go under the mower and get hit by that hugh 1/2 x 4 inch blade. Cut the ends of the chains up. The Bush Hog has a much stronger holder for the chain guards and it seems to hold up well. The gearbox is rated 110 hp and it looks like it too! I lost the gearbox in my last mower when my son hit a tire and that cost $260 on a light duty mower. The tail wheel bracing is done well and the tail wheel is rugged. Saw a blade come through the side of another rotary cutter - it won't come through the side of the Bush Hog Medium Duty mowers! /w3tcompact/icons/smile.gif

The mowers are pretty heavy. 922# for the 6 ft and 1186# for the 7 ft. My tractor has the LA1002 loader and water/antifreeze in all four tires brings the tractor to about 8000# so there is no problem handling a heavy mower.

I was going to get the 7 ft because that is what the 6800 is rated for, but my Dad talked me out of it and I agreed with him. I couldn't put the mower on my trailer and I have the biggest one legal in the US for width. The 6 ft comes to the outside of the wheels with the wheels set to 4 inches out from minimum. That works pretty well, although the blade doesn't come completely to the edge. The other side is with a 7 ft, you have to be careful and not snag things with the mower that you miss with the tires. That is equally bad.

I find no fault with the mower and think it is a good buy. I probably have prices on the 6 ft. The Rhino TW-72 w chainguards was $1785. The Bush Hog 286 was a little more. Both were priced with slip clutch and chain guards.