Sir, are you a vegetarian?

/ Sir, are you a vegetarian? #21  
Jim -- we'll be putting in that type system in the new house. Is it much hassle or expense? Bastrop county wants everyone to have a contract with a service company. Karen's aunt told me (if I remember right) that it runs about $400 a year for 2 visits a yr. I'm kicking about it just cause it angers me that the county can dictate that I must spend money to a group of private individuals.

Mike, I'm a service provider for ATU's here in Virginia. We are really an engineering firm and make most of our revenue is from system designs and soil analysis. We only service because didn't trust other providers with our drip irrigation systems. It's a new design in Va. and we didn't want any bad press. We don't spray irrigate effluent much in Va. but you can, if you have the acreage. If you are going to discharge to the surface or a water course I beleive you should have a managed system.
That brings me to my point, I totally agree with you, I think you should be able to run your own system. It's a corner stone of America, being able to do things yourself. I believe Texas allows you to take a class and become certified to operate/maintain your system. We charge $200/yr for 3 visits where most around here charge $400. I couldn't look a client square in the face and tell them $400 just to clean 2 little screen filters. I tell everyone when they get their permit there must be a maintenance provider and the state makes them record this notice on their land deed as well. I wish Va. had modeled their program after TX.

/ Sir, are you a vegetarian? #22  
When I saw the title, I thought of an old commercial from a few years back. A young blonde says, "I'm a veterinarian, because I don't eat meat".

I don't remember what they were advertising, but I'll never forget the quote.