Size tractor for Bedder/Mulch-Layer

/ Size tractor for Bedder/Mulch-Layer #1  

Indian Territory

Bronze Member
Tractor
New Holland PowerStar 75
I’m looking at buying a Rain-Flo 2670 bed-shaper/mulch-layer. The manual says it requires an 80hp minimum tractor. I have a 75hp New Holland PowerStar. I’ve talked to the manufacturer, and they thought my tractor would probably work, even though it is smaller than the recommended size. However, they said they couldn’t guarantee it. So I’m wondering if by chance anyone here has used a 2670 bedder, and what were your results?

Also, my tractor weighs about 8,000 pounds counting the FEL. Will that be heavy enough to keep the implement from steering the tractor, instead of the other way around? Some vidoes on the web reference 12,000 pound tractors, which is heavier than mine, of course. In the past I have used a much smaller bedder with a much smaller tractor. I know first hand the frustration of implement steering and am anxious to avoid it if at all possible.

Any advice? Thank!

/ Size tractor for Bedder/Mulch-Layer #2  
I looked at the implement manufacturer's website and it had some information but not a lot. They mention an 80 HP FWA tractor as a minimum and in the manual it says that the tractor has to be big enough to handle the weight of the implement. Unfortunately they don't list the weight of their bedders anywhere. I can't see it really well but it appears the tractor used in the picture for that model bedder looks like a newer Deere 4 cylinder 5E such as a 5090E or 5100E. Those units weigh about 7500 pounds in the open station MFWD version without a loader that they show in their pictures without any added ballast. You would be able to add a ton or so in liquid ballast to the rear tires and in front counterweights if you want, so total weight would be 9500 lbs or so ballasted. The 4 cylinder 5Es are similar in size and weight to the NH Powerstar 90-120.

They show an open station MFWD 5065E Deere pulling the next-size-down bedder (2570) with a listed 70 HP requirement, the 5065E makes 67 HP. The open station MFWD 5065E they show with fuel and an operator will weigh about 6000 pounds without any additional ballast, with front counterweights and fluid filled tires it would be about 8000 pounds. The dimensions and weight of the 5065E is very similar to your Powerstar 75.