Sizing a tractor

/ Sizing a tractor #1  

Slackdaddy

Gold Member
Tractor
Kioti CK20HST
I have 20 wooded acres, about 1/2 acre cleared with my house, the rest is 2-3 acre flat, 1-2 acre low meadow, rest slopes - some steep.

I built the house myself over 2 years and bought a case 580E to use. now that the house is done and there is a yard around the house the 580 is way, way to big for the upcoming projects: building raised bed gardens, putting in fruit trees, putting in small retaining walls, putting in small fish/duck pond (20' round x 2' deep), hauling firewood, putting in landscape stones (steps).
Fence posts.

Now the dilemma !
Even though I have 20 acres, my working area's are small (20' wide strip
out at the road for fruit trees, "lanes" between the gargens will be 6-8',
clearing as little amount of trees for "food plots, blue berry bushes"

So the Kioti 20HST was looking real "cute" and able to zip around all my paths, gardens, coops, sheds, etc. but will I out grow it in 2 hours ?

1) I know nothing will match the Case 580E (lifting 20' sea containers at idle)
But will the CK20/Mahindra 2015 be to small for My garden/landscape/food
plot/firewood projects ??

2) Is the CK30/Mahindra 2615/Cub EX3200 really that much bigger then
the CK20 that I will find it wont fit where I need it to go ?, and the CK20
will ??

3) is the only reason not to buy the larger tractor price ? or will the smaller
tractor be more productive in my case. for some reason the CK20 looks
like it could really zipp around in My tight area's ?

Thanks
Slack

Attachments

• 2005.JPG
    2005.JPG
    289.6 KB · Views: 386
  • coop.JPG
    coop.JPG
    168.2 KB · Views: 381
  • woods.JPG
    woods.JPG
    242.6 KB · Views: 368
  • last of the construction.JPG
    last of the construction.JPG
    208.7 KB · Views: 329
  • left side.JPG
    left side.JPG
    206.4 KB · Views: 322
  • meadow below.JPG
    meadow below.JPG
    223.6 KB · Views: 343
  • right side.JPG
    right side.JPG
    154.9 KB · Views: 343
   / Sizing a tractor #2  
Slackdaddy:

I can not honestly reply to the CK 20-30 question, but I can respond to the queston of tractor size in small places. When we first "set up" our propery 25+ years ago we had a Ford 1100 and planted things accordingly. The 1100 was much more manuverable in my woods. I do have some manuverability "challenges" in my planted areas with my "29"; especially in the woods now. I would go with my "gut sense". Jay

/ Sizing a tractor #3  
I have 10 acres of flat pasture land. I bought a new 2005 Kubota B7510HST (21 hp engine, 17 hp pto) with LA302 FEL to do work around my new house (excavating for paver block walkways and a patio, landscape work with a 4-ft rototiller, mowing with a 4-ft King Kutter brush hog). It was fine for that work, although it took about 10-12 hours of brush hogging to mow my place.

Patio-1.jpg

Now that I'm finished with that work, I've decided to put in a 7 acre hayfield. So I traded the 7510 for a 55 hp Mahindra 5525, which is going in the reverse direction from you as far as tractor size is concerned.

I would have liked a little more hp than the 7510 has, maybe 25-30 hp in a tractor that's still nimble and small enough for 4-ft implements.

/ Sizing a tractor #4  
I have to say Slackdaddy that you have a great job done on your property. I have a Kubota B7510HST as Flusher, I have found so far that this little tractor has amazed me. It is quite capable and nimble for the chores that I have, two horses and chickens. I have aprox. 7.5 acres of mixed trees, pasture, and woods spread over some flat ground and hills. But I could see the need if I had more property for a larger tractor. If you can afford I would consider something in the 30hp range, still gives you the small size to get around your gardens but has the ability to tackle larger jobs if the need arises.

/ Sizing a tractor #5  
Don't go too small. Like others have said, 30 HP sounds about right if you want to retain maneuverability and also some weight & capability to do the odd larger jobs that you know will come up. A 20 HP tractor will literally be a toy compared to that Brute your used to.

If your still uncertain, see if a Dealership will loan you a Tractor for a week-end & put it through its paces.

Good Luck,

Vic

/ Sizing a tractor #6  
Beautiful place there, Slackdaddy. Love your chicken coop!

Have you considered the TYM T273? It'll give you comparable performance to the CK25/30 but is physically closer in size to the CK20. It's a really nice tractor. Very maneuverable!

Though I think the CK20 would work for you, I'd probably go one size bigger. Have you tested any of them out? After using that big Case, they are going to feel like toys.....but highly capable toys for sure.

/ Sizing a tractor #7  
Nice work Slackdaddy!
After years of struggling with a Ferguson TE (English) 20 I finally pulled the trigger on a Kubota L3130 with FEL and an old 72" woods finish mower. Ther ferggie was underpowered (though probably not so when new) and only had 2-wheel traction. We have 23 rolling acres with about 8 cleared and the Bota has handled everything I could ask of it without a hint of underpower. All this while maintaining the maueuverability necessary for garden and assorted projects. It has hauled wood up and down hills for the last three winters as we heat 100% with an outdoor boiler.

Hope this gives some guidance.

/ Sizing a tractor #8  
You have fixed a very nice looking place. i hope that I can get mine to looking that good.
I don't know that anyone can make the decision on what size tractor but you. You know the projects you are going to do in the future. I would suggest going to the different dealers, sitting in a few seats and drive them around. If the dealer knows you are truly interested he will possibly loan you a tractor for you to see if that fits your needs. A good dealer will bend over backwards to get and keep a good customer.:)
Good luck in your search and many happy hours in the tractor seat.:)

/ Sizing a tractor #9  
I'd suggest a tractor based on your woods. If you can get a 5' wide tractor through the woods, go with that size (30HP range). If you can only get a 4 footer through the woods, get a smaller CUT.

My chickens would be envious of the coop. I don't know if you have raccoons in your area, but your chicken run in not very safe from raccoons. I'd highly suggest a cover fence and an electric fence. The electric fence is very effective. I learned the hard way.

/ Sizing a tractor #10  
Wow, you've got a really nice place. I'll bet those pictures don't do it justice.
As far as your choice, I've always matched up the chores ahead which dictated the size and horsepower needed (not necessarily the size of your parcel). In your case, looks like you got a pretty good idea of what you need and what you'll be doing. Make it fit ... I'm sure you'll make the right choice.