Sizing mower deck belt

/ Sizing mower deck belt #1  

lhfarm

Veteran Member
Tractor
NH TC40DA
I picked up a second mower deck for my Cub Lo-boy while I rebuild the original. The new deck is a Woods model, built for this tractor, but I don't have the correct rear mounting brackets. I've fabricated brackets, but I need move the deck forward a couple of inches and that makes the belt that came with the deck too short. I'm trying to calcuate how much longer belt I need. This is a single (long) belt system. I've looked at the Woods on-line manual, but they don't list a belt for the mower (just says contact dealer).

I should have paid attention in all those math classes, but is it really as simple as adding double the size I need to move forward? For example, if I need the deck 4" do I just need a belt 8" longer than the current belt?

I can find a number on the old belt. Is it possible to find information on the net that will tell me the length of that belt or a calulator where you can enter they length you need and it will find the proper belt?

Any assistance with the math or locating a belt greatly appreciated.

Thanks,

/ Sizing mower deck belt #2  
Just take a piece of rope that is of a proper diameter (3/8 ?) and run it around all the pulleys and cut it were it mets back up with the other end. Then you can tape it together or melt the ends and stick them together, then just take it to a parts store and they can size it on one of those belt measuring devices. Good luck.

/ Sizing mower deck belt
Just take a piece of rope that is of a proper diameter (3/8 ?) and run it around all the pulleys and cut it were it mets back up with the other end. Then you can tape it together or melt the ends and stick them together, then just take it to a parts store and they can size it on one of those belt measuring devices. Good luck.

Good idea. But since I have the belt that came with the deck, maybe I can just take it in and say I need it X longer.

Thanks,

/ Sizing mower deck belt #4  
I believe that if you move the mower deck forward 4 in, then you would need a belt 8 in longer.

/ Sizing mower deck belt #5  
The idea of moving 4 inches and the belt needing to be 8 inches would only apply if the portion of the belt going to the drive pulley was at a right angle to the direction you moved the deck. Since it is more likely a triangular shape you would be (in the ballpark) but not exact.

/ Sizing mower deck belt
The idea of moving 4 inches and the belt needing to be 8 inches would only apply if the portion of the belt going to the drive pulley was at a right angle to the direction you moved the deck. Since it is more likely a triangular shape you would be (in the ballpark) but not exact.

As long as I go longer than I need, I'm OK - a have plenty of adjustment in the idler pulleys. I'm sure there is math behind all of this!

My next issue is to find a source for the longer belt. Always purchased these big long belts from dealers. Anyone have a good belt source, at a national chain (like NAPA) or online?

Thanks,

/ Sizing mower deck belt #7  
id go with the rope method. takes the guess work out of it (for the most part)

/ Sizing mower deck belt #8  
I would go with the local option, cause if its the wrong size its gonna be alot easier to go back and swap it out for a different size. NAPA should have a belt that will work, but you might just want to try the closest place to you first.

/ Sizing mower deck belt #9  
My next issue is to find a source for the longer belt. Always purchased these big long belts from dealers. Anyone have a good belt source, at a national chain (like NAPA) or online?

Thanks,

My local NAPA store could not help me this summer when I needed a really long belt for my Land Pride rear finish mower. They said they could not get an exact replacment. I found a great source on the net. "Vbeltsupply.com" they are fast and the belt was very reasonably priced. I did have the luxury of knowing the size that I needed. The website also has a wealth of info on how belts are sized and how the number on the belt corrisponds to the actual length of the belt.

/ Sizing mower deck belt #10  
I believe the proper size belt is found by disabling the tension pulley, and the belt should just slide over the rim of the last pulley. If the belt is to loose, the tension pulley will not put enough force on it to keep the belt on the pulleys.