Tractor Sizing Sizing plus price check

/ Sizing plus price check #1  

bfisherman11

Silver Member
Tractor
LS G3033H
I am in WI.

I was looking at the other orange tractor but after looking around found Kioti. I am coming off a 9N. I brush hog w/5' brush hog, 5' Back blade and a 5' disc. The 9N weighs about 2300# and is about 25HP (maybe) ha.

I just got a quote for a CK2501HST $16,500 w/loader from a dealer. Have not done much negotiating yet.

I am also considering a DS3510 that they quoted $17,200 w/loader....

I don't need a lot more than what the 9N used to do so I am not sure if I need the DS. I just don't want a big garden tractor (no disrespect). I actually have not seen or driven a Kioti yet. The HST sounds nice on the CK. Wonder how the CK2501 would handle my 5' disc if I had the loader off.

Anyhow, just hoping to get some details.

Thanks,
Bill

/ Sizing plus price check #2  
Don't discount that 9n too much. I would guess it weighs closer to 3,000 pounds, maybe more if the tires are ballasted. Combine that with the gearing and it can kick the butt of many modern, higher horsepower, lightweight tractors. I'd go as big as I had room to maneuver and/or store

/ Sizing plus price check #3  
Does the 9N handle the disc well? If so use that for your ground engaging tasks and get the CK, as that won't handle the disc. It's a right on the line between a SCUT and CUT. If the 9N is totally overwhelmed, get the DS, as that will handle all your tasks. Look at the CK (30, 35) series too, little more $$ but comes with the HST of the little CK2510, and the power of the DS, with features that neither have (3 range tranny, beautiful 3PTH).

/ Sizing plus price check
The 9n handles all my attachments. It can get bogged down and spin the tires in heavy or muddy ground when discing. Trouble is I don't have room for two tractors. Looks like a DS is in my future. I was going to trade the 9 but now I have a guy interested in buying it. I would sure like that.

Bill

/ Sizing plus price check #5  
In that case you should probably get the DS, the CK your looking at won't have any more power than the 9N, and probably less. A private sale will make you more money than a trade in will, which is more money you can put toward a new tractor. I still think the CK35 and CK30 are worth at least a look.

/ Sizing plus price check #6  
I had an 8n when I first got into raising crops, seems like it was underpowered for any real groundwork I tried to do. Got the job done, but the little guy struggled. Was a great starter tractor though, and it taught me a lot about wrenching on the weekends.
If you haven't test driven a Kioti yet, you are going to be impressed. Power steering and Diesel engine make life so much better in the field. If it was me, for only $700 more, I would go for the bigger size, a point that is stressed here every week by posters with a lot more seat time than me.

/ Sizing plus price check #7  
Get the kioti CK 30. It's a nice size tractor it sounds like a perfect fit for you at a reasonable price.

/ Sizing plus price check
I believe got a great quote today from the Kioti dealer. Good trade value plus new price for the DS3510. I think the CK30 actually costs more than the DS. I think I am ok with a DS being a manual shift. The sales guy told me the shuttle shift is a big up selling feature that makes loader work easier. The CK30 with HST is probably easier than the DS to run but after cutting my teeth on the 9N I don't think the HST is a must have.

My only issue is delivery charge. They want like $4/mile. They are about 95-100 miles from me (closest dealer). That means $400, I can rent a Uhaul car trailer that will haul a vehicle up to I think 5,000 or 6,000# for $60/day. I would rather negotiate delivery for 1/2 price, say $200 and let them do it. I have never trailer-ed a tractor before. Hauled boats, travel trailers and my utility trailer but not a tractor. What do you think about that?

Thanks!
Bill

/ Sizing plus price check #9  
That sounds more than reasonable to me.

/ Sizing plus price check #10  
Look at the whole package. If they had quoted you $400 more for the tractor with loader, but given you free delivery, would you have bought it? Mine was delivered Monday for $17,500 with free delivery - I'm about 50 miles from the dealer. They are sending a mechanic up today for free to install the nut that holds the steering wheel on - made for a few exciting moments.....

If you decide to trailer it yourself, see if you can rent or borrow an equipment trailer near your home. My local UHaul won't knowingly rent a car trailer to haul a tractor.