Sizing Tractor For 20 Acres

/ Sizing Tractor For 20 Acres #1  

jhambley

I'm buying my first tractor for the 20 acres we recently purchased.
I will be mowing around the house and buildings (3 acres) I have planted brome to start a pasture on the remaining acreage. I also have to maintain the area around a 2 acre pond. The property is mostly level crop land.

I also need to build the drive way (750').

Here are the attachments I thought I might need:

Finish Mower
Brush Hog
FEL
Box Blade

I've been looking at the Kubota L4330 and L5030 and the JD 4120 and 4320. Since my wife will be helping with the mowing I thought I would get the HST.

I don't want to spend any more than I need to but don't want to buy too small of a tractor for this work.

Your suggestions would be appreciated.

/ Sizing Tractor For 20 Acres #2  
I think you are on the right track with looking at the HST transmissions. I would probably look at tractors 40hp to 45hp. I'm sure there are folks here with 20 acres and an L5030 but that seems a bit bigger than necessary. You are obviously looking at Kubota and Deere given your choices. I had a chance to play with a 4120 at the local Deere store and found it to be a very well designed well engineered tractor, I really liked it. The Kubota L4330 is also an excellent machine, well made and reliable.

I would suggest you and your wife BOTH sit on the tractors, the safe tractor is the one that is more comfortable to you. Hopefully you can both agree on the machine. Also check out the dealership, make sure you are comfortable with the dealer and that they have a good established reputation in the area.

/ Sizing Tractor For 20 Acres #3  
If you are mostly mowing I am not sure that you will need the bigger tractors. I am sure a 3830 or smaller would do it. I have 19 acres and some rolling hills, 1400' driveway my 3430 seems to be working well so far. All the dealers I spoke to said for that first year or two of buidling and clearing a 5030 would be nice but as soon as the big work was done that a 3130-3830 would be what I really need.

I like turbos on my trucks, but I am not so sure about a tractor, I know I will be flamed for this comment. But todays' tractors have so many bells and whistles it just seems that in such a dusty dirty enviroment that a turbo may be a bad thing.

steve

/ Sizing Tractor For 20 Acres #4  
</font><font color="blue" class="small">( I like turbos on my trucks, but I am not so sure about a tractor, I know I will be flamed for this comment. But todays' tractors have so many bells and whistles it just seems that in such a dusty dirty enviroment that a turbo may be a bad thing. )</font>

You won't be flamed for your opinion on turbo's.
My opinion just happens to be differant.
Most dozers, high lifts, rock trucks, Etc. Etc. use turbo's in bad/dusty conditions every day. It is pretty rare to see a turbo problem.
If the filter's lets enough dirt get by to affect a turbo, the engine itself will not fair any better.

/ Sizing Tractor For 20 Acres #5  
You shold take a look at the Kioti DK45S. Very nice tractor. It's not HYDRO it's Shuttle.

/ Sizing Tractor For 20 Acres #6  
I don't think that you could go wrong with the Deere or the Kubota. You'll love the hydro transmission. I have a 7 foot Woods box blade on the rear, loaded tires, and 300 lbs of cast weights on each rear of my L4330. I use my loader alot so the extra weigh really helps. I would stronly recommend a toothbar and quick attach forks for the FEL. Good Luck!

Attachments

• 686849-Kubota Side Yard.JPG
    686849-Kubota Side Yard.JPG
    40.2 KB · Views: 362