Comparison Skid Loader or Front End Loader?

/ Skid Loader or Front End Loader? #21  
No, tracks are just as bad. If you really want to not tear up the grass, put down plywood sheets to run on. On concrete or asphalt, throw some sand out to keep from marking up the surface and wearing down your tires.

/ Skid Loader or Front End Loader? #22  
I dis-agree with the money pit thing, ever put a set of final drives in the front of a JD 7200, get out your check book boys, ever seen a 100 hp loader tractor that loaded silage for a couple of years, if that aint beat nothing is. 5K hours on a machine can be bad but can be nothing depending on maintenance. I have seen money pit tractors, trucks, construction equipment, you name it if it can be beat someone beats them, key is to buy decent equipment and maintain it well. I have a 20 year old thomas with over 5k hours before the meter broke (well before I got it), I paid under $2000 for. It fires every time, if its warm, it is a little cold blooded, and does what I ask.

/ Skid Loader or Front End Loader? #23  
I just finished pricing out a new FEL for my used tractor (Kubota M4030SU), and at close to $6500 I could almost buy a small used skid loader for that kind of money (probably around $10,000). I would be using the loader for moving compost/mulch, manure, brush/small trees, loading a 16ft dump trailer with 4ft sidewalls, and assisting in pond construction (along with an independent backhoe). Any opinions on what is the better value for the money? How does using a tractor FEL compare with using a small skid steer?

You are just about three years behind me. The $6500 was the same price I found for a FEL for the 1976 265 MF. All the used ones were JUNK.

For $7200 I got a very strong construction grade FEL. It came with a good 60 HP JD diesel engine and a heavy backhoe.

The JD 310B backhoe is an awesome work horse. I have changed out the fluids and replaced some hoses and fittings. I use it more than the 265 MF by far since I have torn down buildings, dug drainage ditches and will move 500 to 1000 tons of dirt so I can build a shop insight of the house and near electrical service.

I thought about the "another old machine to keep up" and decided I was too old to be living in fear of something that may or may not happen. I use it on the place so if it breaks it can set.

Just got a thumb mounted on it and both buckets rebuilt. Parts and welding cost was only $900. Both buckets are better than then they were years ago and at my rate of usage are good for another 30 years. The only part engine part was a new starter off ebay for $105 and my 14 year old son did most of the changing out work and I did the wire connecting. There should be a law against selling a BH without a thumb. :B

I am glad I went with the backhoe vs just a FEL for the tractor. I love having a naked tractor in tight spots when disking, bushhoging, box blading. Now after a tree trimmer showed up with a JD skid loader with grapple I think I need one too. :B

The backhoe is not idea for everything but it one awesome universal piece of equipment to have around the place. About a month ago it was so hot and dry when the daughter lost some kittens (not sure where it was a tom cat or something else that killed them) the ground was just too hard to dig with a shovel period. She put them in a shoe box. The son fired up the backhoe and without moving I swung the bucket into the edge of the woods and made one scoop of dirt and the son put the box in the hole and I neatly put the dirt back into the hole and then pressed it down with the hoe bucket then shut down the backhoe.

Not only does the BH let me overcome some of my physical limitations but it has a very heavy four post roll cage and a very heavy metal top offering the operator a lot of protection. It is worn out in the minds of many but to me it is the best backhoe I have ever owned. :)

When I get the BH stuck it will get itself out so far. Not so with the MF tractor.

Since it still runs fine I would not price the BH for what I have in it. If it dies hard I will find another one. Consider adding another machine if that is what you want.

/ Skid Loader or Front End Loader?
Thanks for the input from all the posters. I have decided to go with the Skid Steer. A piece of equipment that will only provide a moderate level of performance and a low level of utility just doesn't make sense at $6500 for me. To the poster who recommended a FEL for 3-5K, I would love to know where you have found those figures. I haven't found anything for less than $4500 (and that was without the correct mounting brackets). Plus, I would have a few hundred dollars in expenses installing the hydraulic connections and mounting bracket for the remotes on the tractor since it has never been setup for hydraulics.

Hopefully, I can find a good used piece of equipment for 10k or less with less than 5K hours on it. If anyone knows of any good deals near TX feel free to PM me. To all the skid steer owners, any recommendations on what to watch out for when looking at used SS? What are common problems or signs of misuse?

/ Skid Loader or Front End Loader? #25  
Thanks for the input from all the posters. I have decided to go with the Skid Steer. A piece of equipment that will only provide a moderate level of performance and a low level of utility just doesn't make sense at $6500 for me. To the poster who recommended a FEL for 3-5K, I would love to know where you have found those figures. I haven't found anything for less than $4500 (and that was without the correct mounting brackets). Plus, I would have a few hundred dollars in expenses installing the hydraulic connections and mounting bracket for the remotes on the tractor since it has never been setup for hydraulics.

Hopefully, I can find a good used piece of equipment for 10k or less with less than 5K hours on it. If anyone knows of any good deals near TX feel free to PM me. To all the skid steer owners, any recommendations on what to watch out for when looking at used SS? What are common problems or signs of misuse?

Sounds like a good plan. It seems 10 years from now one would sell for about the purchase price today if serviced along the way.

As I noted above it was the high price of FEL that drove us to just go with the 1983 JD 310B backhoe at about the same price plus it it nice to have a naked tractor. Before when I got the 265 MF stuck it was a bad day. :)