Skid Steer mounted chipper

/ Skid Steer mounted chipper #11  
Hey Qwikdraw, Your later plan is the ticket. Yes if you need to capture the chips than the chipper is the way. I believe renting is the best route too. Yes the timberax will handle big piles the only catch is being as the material is dead its best if size is under 6". Being dry and hard it sometimes doesn't bite the stuff as well and can throw it also. There are techniques, Just think a 7' pile by hand into a chipper of 5 min. tops with the timberax!! If nothing else the timberax would be funner. Your new plan works for me about the orchard. You gotta make that note. And if your starting in Jan you better deicde quick on your tractor and buy! I can let you in on all the secrets of the timberax. There easy to implement just hard to figure out. Robbie

/ Skid Steer mounted chipper #12  
Robbie Hegwood said:
Being dry and hard it sometimes doesn't bite the stuff as well and can throw it also. There are techniques, Just think a 7' pile by hand into a chipper of 5 min. tops with the timberax!!

Throw it up to 300 feet, correct?

/ Skid Steer mounted chipper #13  
Not qiute 300. It will get them out there about 100' but only if you have the head tilted back as far as possible. That was a technique thing, you can tilt the head forward as you set it down onto the pile to limit this. But it still commands respect. Side note, to mulch a big pile you will have to tilt the head back to throw the chips away from the pile if not the chips will fall back down into the pile and you'll be mulching the same material over and over. Mulching a large pile I found extremely difficult with a carbide head. Not saying it couldn't be done, it just seemed hard. Robbie

/ Skid Steer mounted chipper
OK...an update.

I have two ASV dealers taking a look at my Volvo MC70 this week for trade in value. Really, I am hoping to break even.

Although I like the SR80 because of the new track design and it is a little faster and a little more clearance I have to lean toward the RC100 just for the 304ft/lbs of torque compared to the 186ft/lbs of the 80. (But I really like the design of the SR80).

I am still most interested in the Timber AX but another member brought up a question on how it would hold an edge in rocky terrain (which we have here). I do have a good friend that is a Bradco Magnum dealer and he could get me one well under list price...descisions, descisions...

How does the finished product compare of the Timber AX and a grinder type machine, I would think the Timber AX would leave a better finished product (chip size) and smooth cut stumps (flush to ground) but the grinder would actually get below grade but leave bigger chips and have a less finished look.

Robbie....would $500 an acres be a good place to start for pricing?

Thanks,
Ted

/ Skid Steer mounted chipper #15  
Hey Ted, I think the safe route for you would be the RC-100. It's tried and true in this setup, I'd hate for you to run into trouble down the road because of unforseen problems with the SR. I'm sure it's a great machine in it's proper environment. And a big ol yes on the torque, I did not know there was that much difference. Almost double and these heads would show that. Make SURE you get some type of forestry package when buying, I know it will add cost but is easier on you to add into the financing than go out of pocket.

As far as heads the timberax cuts the best to me bar none. But that being said they do not deal with rocks. If you are rough with a timberax the blades could go dule in as little as an hour causing it to not grab material well at all. In my opinion you would be better off with an carbide of some sort in rocky conditions. Plus it would be less down time for you also,{not sharpening}

I do not have any experience with a magnum head so you'll have to feel out that one with a demo yourself. I've heard of vibration problems with them so just demo to check for yourself. And a good deal is a good deal. When your talking close to 20k every little bit helps.

As far as finished product you can always reprocess the material, and honestly unless your dealing with someone who has had this done before I don't think chip size is going to be a huge concern. That can be easily felt out be talking to the customer. I just do alot of residental work that is close to homes and therefore they are a little pickier and so am I.

As far as how close to the ground you can get, Regardless of teeth/blades the skids on the head will limit how close you can get to the ground. Most heads have different height setting and will allow lite 'grading' but not the rotor tilling effect your thinking of. But a carbide will do that where a timberax shouldn't for blade's sake.

Yes 500 an acre would be a good starting point, it leaves a cushion for your cost and the customer. That is about what I charge if its a solid acre, my jobs rarely consist of solid acreage. Usually alittle here or a row or two here or a trail there. Do yourself a favor and buy a measuring wheel from northern or somewhere to protect your interest. I believe an acre is 43,000 or so sq. ft.

I hope your trade-in goes in your favor and you have you an RC-100 soon. Keep me posted. Robbie

/ Skid Steer mounted chipper #16  
You could buy a three point hitch adaptor with a hydraulic motor to run a pto shaft. At Skid Steer Solutions. Then you could buy one of those chineese chippers self feeding with a 6" capacity for $ 3000.- or so total. The three point inpliments are a lot cheaper.You could also run a regular brush hog. David