Skid Steer vs Tractor

/ Skid Steer vs Tractor #11  
Kendall69 said:
Anyone else debate a skid steer over a tractor. I'm on the fence. I need more lift, so I have been looking at a bigger new tractor, and thought I would think outside the box for a while.

The new tractor with backhoe is coming in at around 40K with cab and air, a good size Cat track skid steer is about 50K with cab air etc.

With the tractor, 3PH, comfort etc.

Skid steer, more lift, WAY more attachments run off the hydraulics, tracks, better traction mud and sand, etc. Replacing tracks run about 8k after 2k hours.

I'm not sold 100% on either one as of today.

10k is still 10k?

We have a CAT 236B here at our association. We maintain 200 acres with it and a JD 410 backhoe. Personally, I would never have purchased wither item as the old backhoe is on its last legs, but thats another sotry. The CAT skidsteer gets most of its use with a hydraulic brush mower but sees some use with both a smooth and toothed bucket as well as a seldom used hydraulic auger. The drawbacks are much rougher ride getting from place to place. Much, much, I mean much easier to get stuck. Tears up anything you turn on. On the brite side, there is almost nothing that can move material like one of these with the exception of a track steer which in my opinion is so far superior to skidsteers. When talking to CAT they mentioned that tracks are taking over skids in a very big way. I love the pilot control in the CAT over the old Bobcat control. If we had a L39 it could easily replace what both the JD 410D and CAT 236B are doing but that is entirely because of the nature of our work.