Skid steer with ROPS removed....

/ Skid steer with ROPS removed.... #1  

kebo

Elite Member
Tractor
2001 John Deere 790 4x4, bar tires
I saw an ad on craigslist for a nice looking bobcat skid steer but the seller had actually cut off the roof and at least part of the cage around it. The pic's weren't real clear but it looked like the front part with the screen was still there. I'm not looking to buy one, but I just thought it was very unsafe thing to do. It would be so easy for something to fall out of the bucket and fall right on top of you, right? Not too mention if it ever rolled over with someone in it. I think the guy will have a hard time selling that one, at least for top dollar. So was just wondering what the knowledgable folks here would think about doing something like that??

/ Skid steer with ROPS removed.... #2  
Two words.

Death Trap.

That thing will kill you without a top.

/ Skid steer with ROPS removed.... #3  
I think the guy will have a hard time selling that one, at least for top dollar.

There's a bargain for ya.

Folks buy skidsteers fully expecting to use the ROPS that they come with!
Very tippy machines....kinda fun to operate.

/ Skid steer with ROPS removed.... #4  
Prolly was cut off so it could be used to clean manure out of a barn or shed, with low overhead beams and such.
The skid steer I used to have did not have a ROPS. Owattona Mustang, and came from the factory that way.
Hey, I even remember when cars didn't have seat belts. OMG!!

:) :)

/ Skid steer with ROPS removed.... #5  
Chicken house machine.

/ Skid steer with ROPS removed.... #6  
I see those all the time for applications like chicken houses, stalls. etc. which is mostly flat work. Anything else and there better be a ROPS. I've had several scary incidents on skid steers and sure did appreciate the ROPS then.

/ Skid steer with ROPS removed.... #7  
funny this popped up, just seen an ad for a rops $350...

/ Skid steer with ROPS removed.... #8  
My Case 1530 never had one from the factory and no I dont want one on it either, ----- cant see a damn thing with all that crap around you! --- ANY machine is only as safe as the operator! Go gittin stupid with them and you are going to get hurt!
My New-Hollands have cabs on them and I totally hate them and use the Case as much as I can.

/ Skid steer with ROPS removed.... #9  
I was just reading about any modifications to rops will lower the integrity of the unit. It's designed for the weight of the tractor/Bobcat that it is on. Even drilling holes for light bars etc! They did go on to mention that companies such as Kubota are including holes for additions to light bars. I'd like mine lower for mowing as I often hit the tree branches and have had an accident or 2 involving my wife's wind chimes... by the way the tractor survived not the wind chimes... I have to buy new wind chimes.

/ Skid steer with ROPS removed.... #10  
I was just reading about any modifications to rops will lower the integrity of the unit. It's designed for the weight of the tractor/Bobcat that it is on. Even drilling holes for light bars etc! They did go on to mention that companies such as Kubota are including holes for additions to light bars. I'd like mine lower for mowing as I often hit the tree branches and have had an accident or 2 involving my wife's wind chimes... by the way the tractor survived not the wind chimes... I have to buy new wind chimes.

Try driving your brand new tractor in a standard sized garage door with the ROPS up. No wind chimes were damaged.....