skidding logs

/ skidding logs #1  

Mallard1

Silver Member
Tractor
John Deere 4320
We had several oak trees blow over this year and block trails so now I need to move them out. I was thinking of building something but then I saw this picture using a quick hitch and tongs. I have tongs so I could do this for free. any reason why I should build/buy something rather than just do this?

quick hitch log grabber.png

/ skidding logs #2  
If you drag a log down a hill, what are the odds that it will try to buck up against the back of your tractor with nothing to stop it? I only mention this because the tractor tree winches seem to be designed so that the butt of the log is secured against the winch for towing.

/ skidding logs #3  
A lot depends on how big your tractor is (weight), how big the log/tree is, and your terrain. Not enough info to say much of anything intelligent, yet.

/ skidding logs
all of the trees we move are in hardwood river bottoms, we don't have any elevation changes to speak of, the only time I can think of that being an issue would be a creek crossing. I would have to look closer at the tractor but I believe the quick hitch would keep it from going into a tire and the draw bar being extended should keep it from hitting any thing else on the tractor. the log would have to be lifted very high to get above the draw bar and I don't think I have that much 3pt lift.

Thank you for bringing that up, I really don't want to tear something up!

/ skidding logs
A lot depends on how big your tractor is (weight), how big the log/tree is, and your terrain. Not enough info to say much of anything intelligent, yet.

Tractors will be a JD4320 with loaded tires that should weigh around 5,500 lbs when working. the other tractor is a NW Workmaster 75 cab that should be around 6,500 lbs.

logs will all be oak, mainly red oak and white oak cut into 9'6" or 19' long. diameter at butt end will range from 18" to 30". the bigger logs will be cut to 9'6"

as said the terrain is flat river bottom land.

so far this year we have cut up 5ea 19' logs and 12ea 9' logs and was able to pick all of them up with a grapple on the NH however the loader was maxed out on the 19' logs. we have about 3-4 times this amount to go.

the logs we need to get now are all on trails where the trailer cannot go so we will have to skid up to 600 yds or less.

/ skidding logs #6  
That is a great way to move logs without a lot of "new equipment". I've been doing it for years.

If things get dicey, just drop the load.

It's not rocket science!

/ skidding logs #7  
I wouldnt worry to much about the log pushing the tractor down hill. It would have to be really steep for that or s really smooth log.

I have used a chain or log tongs over the back edge of my box blade. Anything really works.

/ skidding logs #8  
If you feel comfortable using tong do so,if snow on the ground I consider using chain.

/ skidding logs #9  
If you drag a log down a hill, what are the odds that it will try to buck up against the back of your tractor with nothing to stop it? I only mention this because the tractor tree winches seem to be designed so that the butt of the log is secured against the winch for towing.
Thats what your PTO shaft is for. Log Stopper.

/ skidding logs #10  
you certainly can, but what I do is, i cut the end of the long towards the tractor in a taper and use a sling chocker.

Last edited: