Slag for Driveway

/ Slag for Driveway #21  
Was it from a steel mill?

Yessir, most certainly was.

I guess there is one benefit of slag in that I noticed that the snow melted off that faster than the gravel!

/ Slag for Driveway #22  
slag fines are a common road base here not only because of a big supply with a local mill but also because the stuff packs like concrete.... commonly used for road base and garage pads. its also ground down and water injection cooled to make what they call granulate which is used for concrete. its fine like powdered glass almost..nasty stuff slag driveways were common at one time but not so much nowdays as the large rocks slowly crush down as there driven on and the stuff does track in as u walk on it. not as good as gravel at all

/ Slag for Driveway #23  
Yessir, most certainly was.

I guess there is one benefit of slag in that I noticed that the snow melted off that faster than the gravel!

I wonder why yours pushed out from the tire tracks. Ours is locked down like concrete. I dug a foot deep trench in the sand, filled it with 6" of gravel I mined on-site, then topped with 6" of slag. Hasn't budged in 20 years. My father's was put in 4" deep over an existing gravel and/or crushed limestone driveway. It also locked in real nice. Funny how things work different in different places/settings. :confused3:

/ Slag for Driveway #24  
We had lots of problems with gravel. Its round. It doesn't lock together and it pushes to the sides as tires go over it, leaving the classic center hump with a row on each edge.