Sliced tread - grrrr

/ Sliced tread - grrrr #1  

Will

Gold Member
Tractor
B2410HSD
I managed to slice the tread of one of my R4 tires. It isn't bad enough to cause a puncture, but I don't want it to get worse. Is there some sort of goop that should be put in there?

/ Sliced tread - grrrr #2  
I'll sure be watching to see what kind of response you get to this one, Will, because if there's anything that works, I never heard of it; unfortunately./w3tcompact/icons/frown.gif

Bird

/ Sliced tread - grrrr #3  
I would try some flexible urethane. It's worked great on everything I've tried it on. It can be found at camping supply shops under the name of Seam Grip. Then there's always duct tape :)

Darryl

/ Sliced tread - grrrr #4  
ouch Will.
Have you check to see if a tube will fit?

Not sure how bad you puncture a hole,but maybe you might want to replace the tire just in case..

Another killer on tires would be thorn apple branches.

If you should locate a tire fixer let me know.

Thomas..NH

/ Sliced tread - grrrr #5  
It probably won't get worse, but there is likely to be less puncture protection in the area. A long time ago, I used to hear people saying things like: 'Just put a boot and a tube in it.' I never was sure what a boot in a tire was, but it apparently was a solution for people with damaged tires. Of course, back then retreading was a solution as well.

/ Sliced tread - grrrr #6  
Will-I wouldn't worry to much about it. My R4's have had tread slices for years and no problem yet. That said, I'll go to work today and have a flat.

/ Sliced tread - grrrr #7  
TomG, you say you never were sure what a "boot" was in a tire; it's nothing more than a very large patch. And if you didn't have such a patch, you could make one out of another old inner tube. Biggest problem with that was the fact that the edges would not be tapered. I've put many a boot in tires, both for cars and tractors when I was a teenager working in my dad's service station.

Bird

/ Sliced tread - grrrr #8  
A boot is simply a patch applied to a tire rather than the tube. All tubeless tires are SUPPOSSED to be fixed this way. Plugs are used too often and ruin a lot of passenger tires; however, plugs are a way of life on Ag tires. (cheap and quick) /w3tcompact/icons/smile.gif

/ Sliced tread - grrrr #9  
I thought all tires had cracks and slices in them until I got a new tractor and found out they don't come from the factory that way! /w3tcompact/icons/wink.gif

If it were mine and it didn't leak, I would drive it until it did. /w3tcompact/icons/smile.gif However, in the construction business the downtime may be more costly than a new tire. How often do you get this kind of damage?

/ Sliced tread - grrrr #10  
There's also something called "TyrLyner", or something like that, that is a shield to prevent thorns from getting through to puncture tubes. Gempler's sells them. There are other brands as well. I've heard them referred to as boots.

I wouldn't worry about the slice, though. They're inevitable and don't usually cause any problems.

Mark