sliding gate

/ sliding gate #1  

crazymike

Silver Member
Not really a tractor project, but a farm project

I saw these gates once before, but I can't remember the exact design. The gate was counter weighted so it was effortless to open.

The grey things were old car wheels. The gate slid back with the wheels.

They were really handy and couldn't get stuck in the mud, etc... aswell, you could easily hook up a garage door opener rather than expensive gate openers.

gate5sk.jpg

/ sliding gate #2  
It's called a Cantilever gate.
I built one for myself about 7 years ago. Been working like a champ. I used only the electronics from a garage door opener because garage door motors and gears are not powerful enough. The motor is 1.5 HP 1750RPM with a gear reducer, and electric disk brake to stop the inertia of the gate and the motor. It's driven by a 6" chain sprocket & chain, Magnetic limit switches, etc etc etc. I had to run electrical over 600 feet to the end of my driveway.

Keep in mind that the gate must be twice as long as you want it to open plus about 2 feet. In my case the gate is 40 feet long so that it can open about 18 feet. If you would like I could post pictures of how it basically went together. The electronic interface from the door opener to the 1.5 HP motor got a little involved but is do-able if you know electronics. Professionally installed gates of this type are in the 5k to 7K range. The support wheels are called Cantilever gate wheels - very hard to find. But I suppose they could be made by a good DIY'er.

It took me 2 years on & off to complete the gate from scratch and about 1K in parts.

You might consider having this posted in "Rural Living"

/ sliding gate #3  
I'd like to see the pictures; sounds interesting!

/ sliding gate #4  
Re:
(The support wheels are called Cantilever gate wheels - very hard to find. But I suppose they could be made by a good DIY'er)

Was thinking that the small pneumatic tires/rims made in China and available on EBay and Tractor Supply for about $5-7 ea would be just great for this application.
Discard the tire and the rim is about 6" in dia. with just about the right 'grouve' for 2" pipe.
They also are bearing equipped and take a 3/4" shaft.
Basically 'hand cart wheels'.

As a project this has been spinning around in my head for a while.

I did purchase 4 of the rims at TSC when I saw them. At the time I did not know what for, but could not pass them up.

Hmmm, have a gearhead reduction motor, remote control switch setup, lots of metal pipe, a welder...now to figure out the remote reverseing operation....

Great web site for project ideas (and solutions)

/ sliding gate #5  
I have one on the road at our house, My opening is 25' I used this stile system.
http://www.intlgate.com/
With this Door King opener. http://www.doorking.com/dkshome.html
My gate is heavy and over 7' tall in the center. If the opener is not hooked up you can roll with ease. I do not have pics but I can take some. I should have done it with the X-mas lights up.
John

/ sliding gate #6  
I will post pictures this weekend in the TBN\"Other Forums"\ Rural Living discussion forum under a new thread. I believe this would be the proper thing to do.

/ sliding gate #7  
Well I got home just before the sun set so I got some pictures of my home made sliding gate. It is Posted here

/ sliding gate #8  
These are front and rear photos of our cantilever gate. It is aluminum with cedar inserts. We had to lay 800ft of underground conduit to get power out to it. Also has a CCTV above the gate. It Goes to a DVR at the house. AT&T put an underground line from the road to the telephone access controller. The gate itself has a 12 ft opening with a total length of 36 feet. 4 families live within the boundary of this gate so it gets a lot of use. Well worth the expense. Everybody inside Is safe and secure. No more weirdos driving into our place.

Attachments

• image-2518536850.png
    image-2518536850.png
    983 KB · Views: 1,117
  • image-2969260015.jpg
    image-2969260015.jpg
    78.5 KB · Views: 651
   / sliding gate #9  
JHTFarmer,

Nice looking gate. What kind of gate opener did you use?

/ sliding gate #10  
It's a Viking Access systems model L-3. Rated for Continuous operation on gates up to 1200 pounds. We have it set up with a safety photo beam, underground free exit loop, radio receiver, and to a digital (telephone) access controller.

Attachments

• image-3463278923.jpg
    image-3463278923.jpg
    87.9 KB · Views: 278
  • image-3967791772.png
    image-3967791772.png
    919.9 KB · Views: 310
Last edited: