Slight problem installing a PTO OverRun Clutch on my 17d

/ Slight problem installing a PTO OverRun Clutch on my 17d #1  

wannabeefree

Tractor
Yanmar f17d
I was ordering a replacement disc for my new to me disc harrow I found a deal on and Tractor supply had a PTO Over Run Clutch on clearance for $18.99 List price was $84.99. So I thought why not I need one to use on a Brush Hog and at that price what do I have to loose. Well I got it home and first found I was missing a drift pin that holds it in place on the pto shaft so I went back and picked one up for $1.99 and figured I was all set. Well not so fast the clutch fit over the shaft just fine but the drift pin hole would not line up before the clutch body hit the back of my housing. It was too long by about 3/16 of an inch. So I looked at all my options and decided to just grind off about 1/4' of material and after several tries took just enough off so it slipped all the way on and the pin lined up but there it was tight. I do not think it will be a problem as there is still about 1/8 of material left on the back of the Clutch before the snap ring that holds it together.
I am not sure if this is a common problem on Yanmar Tractors or just my luck and the specific clutch I purchased since they are pretty much universal fit.

/ Slight problem installing a PTO OverRun Clutch on my 17d #2  
I had an over run clutch on my Mitsubishi but not like yours. There was a six spline female side to slip over the tractor's PTO. You depressed a button to release a ball detent type thing I think and slid the thing ofer the male splines of the tractor PTO. Releasing the button would lock it in place. The other side was male six spline my mower shaft slipped over and locked onto. I think these normally go for $75 to $100 or something like tat. Yours may be kind of an oddball and why it was so cheap.

/ Slight problem installing a PTO OverRun Clutch on my 17d #4  
Your yanmar is setup for that. I had a Mitsubishi tractor and decided to upgrade to a loader tractor. I investigated purchasing a loader ti the Mitsubishi, but was recommended to not do so because of the weak front axle on the 2wd tractor. Thus I bought a YM2002D tractor. I decided that I wanted to overrun clutch on the Yanmar as I fid not plan ti keep the Mitsubishi tractor. So I removed the overrun clutch which attached with a pin through the clutch and the PTO stub shaft. When to put it on the yannie and no hole in the PTO stub shaft. So I had to get a quick connect style like you find on many PTO shafts. But you do need the overrun clutch if it is not build into the transmission, most all older imports are not.
Ain’t life fun!

/ Slight problem installing a PTO OverRun Clutch on my 17d #5  
Think you have clutch for older Fords 9n,2n,8n the push button or sliding lock style probably will work
Amazon.com : pto over running clutch

Many or most of the old Fords actually had a smaller diameter pto shaft it I believe it was only an inch and an 1/8 compared to the 1 3/8" they were both 6 spline.

/ Slight problem installing a PTO OverRun Clutch on my 17d
Many or most of the old Fords actually had a smaller diameter pto shaft it I believe it was only an inch and an 1/8 compared to the 1 3/8" they were both 6 spline.

My 17d splines matched up exactly in fact it was a tight fit but I put it on by hand just a little lube. I only purchased the ORC because it was on clearance and I do have access to a 48" Brush Hog I can borrow from my Brother In Law but I am not sure it will fit because the pto shaft is now 4" longer with the ORC installed. Eventually I plan on getting my own and will need it anyways. I am a little concerned that I had to shorten the overall length of the ORC by grinding 1/4" off the back to make it fit. It does not seem like it would have weakened it but the retaining c clip ring only has about 1/8' of material holding it in place now. I will probably look around for a deal on a slip on model in the future if this gives me any trouble.

/ Slight problem installing a PTO OverRun Clutch on my 17d #7  
My 17d splines matched up exactly in fact it was a tight fit but I put it on by hand just a little lube. I only purchased the ORC because it was on clearance and I do have access to a 48" Brush Hog I can borrow from my Brother In Law but I am not sure it will fit because the pto shaft is now 4" longer with the ORC installed. Eventually I plan on getting my own and will need it anyways. I am a little concerned that I had to shorten the overall length of the ORC by grinding 1/4" off the back to make it fit. It does not seem like it would have weakened it but the retaining c clip ring only has about 1/8' of material holding it in place now. I will probably look around for a deal on a slip on model in the future if this gives me any trouble.

If you a pair of Pat's or a quick hitch you would need that 4" of length.
Myself I doubt that you weakened it any.

/ Slight problem installing a PTO OverRun Clutch on my 17d
If you a pair of Pat's or a quick hitch you would need that 4" of length.
Myself I doubt that you weakened it any.

I did not even think of the idea that a quick hitch would change the length of the pto shaft. I was thinking of adding one too. I looked into the Harbor Freight unit but would prefer the Speeco accept there are no Rural King Stores in my area and shipping costs run about $79 where as I some times go to Harbor Freight on my trips to Reno, NV. Something to think about ?

/ Slight problem installing a PTO OverRun Clutch on my 17d #10  
As this is a topic for the overrun clutch on Yanmars and other tractors, I wanted to chime in here on the details for this added-on device. This device is a safety device in many ways. The device protects both the operator and the tractor. The operator is protected from not being panicked in the seat when the tractor lunges forwards without the device. The tractor without the device is driven by the inertia momentum feed back into the PTO gearbox, even with the tractor pedal clutch full pressed. This could cause damage inside the PTO gearbox.

I was at a farm store with my brother the other day. We happen across the overrun clutches on the shelf. A marking of WLY was seen. This is the same product offered by Fredricks, Hoye and the big box Ag farm stores. We had to look this up.

Here are the details for the WLY RAS products,
China RAS Series Overrunning Clutch for PTO Shaft Supplier/Manufacturer/Factory - WLY TRANSMISSION CO.,LTD.

As for the OP question about the Harbor Freight Quick Hitch, it's awesome. And there is no change with PTO shafts reaching the overrun clutch for use.