Slip Clutch?

/ Slip Clutch? #1  

boothill

Does a B2410 have a internal slip clutch on therear PTO? I have a grey market tiller with no clutch, do I need to purchase a slip clutch ?

/ Slip Clutch? #2  
I doubt it. A slip clutch should be adjusted for the protection needed and is usually on the implement.

/ Slip Clutch? #3  
Does your tiller have a shear bolt in place of a slip clutch? Many brands have optional slip clutchs. I prefer a slip clutch over the shear bolt type due to the things you always find just under the surface. In either case you want some kind of protection so you don't do wicked things to your tractors PTO.

/ Slip Clutch? #4  
The driveline protection is in the PTO shaft assembly. There is either a shear bolt or the slip clutch.

I would STRONGLY urge you to stay with shear bolt protection. STRONGLY.

The slip clutch is much better, but requires regular maintenance or it will freeze and leave a solid link between the tractor and implement. Next rock or root can result in thousands of dollars of repairs to fix the broken tractor parts.

/ Slip Clutch? #5  
John, I'm kind of puzzled about the "regular maintence" you say a slip clutch requires. I have slip clutches on my tiller and brush hog. After the initial set up its pretty much hands off operation. I recomend that a person loosen the nuts that torque the clutch once a year and engage the PTO to spin the clutch then retorque. The type of soil you work in and ground speed dictate the torque required. What do you do for maintence?

/ Slip Clutch? #7  
boothill said:
Does a B2410 have a internal slip clutch on therear PTO? I have a grey market tiller with no clutch, do I need to purchase a slip clutch ?
Presumably there is a clutch that engages when you want to drive your PTO output stub. While I find this clutch effective at protecting the tractor, it will be damaged quickly by any significant time slipping. Since its internal it is a risk to use it as a routine safety mechanism. I have personally had an internal clutch slip before the slip clutch on a large implement and saved it before it damaged the internal clutch. You have to be right on the ball and know what cues to act on. If you do, the risk may be worth it. With a small tractor the implement would probably be safe.
larry

/ Slip Clutch? #8  
Boothill,

The B2410 is a live PTO meaning the travel clutch controls it's engagement or disengagement. You push the clutch to the floor and move the PTO handle which engages an internal gear set. Then you release the clutch and the tractor moves (if in gear) and the PTO turns.

It is not a two stage meaning you push it halfway and the tractor stops moving and to the floor the PTO stops.

/ Slip Clutch? #9  
Yankee Clipper said:
Boothill,

The B2410 is a live PTO meaning the travel clutch controls it's engagement or disengagement. You push the clutch to the floor and move the PTO handle which engages an internal gear set. Then you release the clutch and the tractor moves (if in gear) and the PTO turns.

It is not a two stage meaning you push it halfway and the tractor stops moving and to the floor the PTO stops.
Boothill, this is too strong of a clutch since it is made to share pto and engine/transmission duties. Protect your pto externaly.
larry