Slip slide'n away

/ Slip slide'n away #1  

prs

Platinum Member
Tractor
JD 650, Ventrac 4500Z AJ02248
I tackled the wet meadow that had grown pretty tall with fescue, timothy, and orchard grass. The running water had drained away, the ground was soft; but I did not make too much of a mess of the ground taking great care to baby the Ventrac. The tractor held to the bank of a driveway that semi-circles the meadow and that bank is steep, as banks tend to be. The really steep part was pretty wet and as I exceeded 20 degrees or so, the Ventrac could not push the mower up grade without spinning the utility tires (duals). I did notice that when traction was lost, only one side of each axle was driving and the other set of tires just sat there -- so basically a 2 wheel drive machine. While cross driving and exceeding a little over 20 degrees the tractor simply slipped sideways down the hill until the slope decreased. It was a comfortable slip, no danger of upsetting, sort of like butter sliding across a warm skillet. Just too wet under the grass and the contour mower's weight even with the transfer at max is a task to push. But, I got 90% or so of the meadow look'n good and the high grass was no problem at all. The UTV/ATV type tires do seem to load with mud very easily and then they tend to stay loaded. I mowed part of my lawn after the meadow to help lose some of the mud before parking in the garage. I tried for snap shots, but could not figure-out that danged cell phone camera. I will try again later.

prs

Last edited: