Slipped Clutch

/ Slipped Clutch #1  

231S

Hello gentleman,

I have a Massey 231S that I was brushhogging on the other day and got into some bumblebees. In my desire to get out of there as quickly as possible I dropped the tranny into high range and popped the clutch. This bogged it down pretty bad and the clutch did slip some, but I got off of it pretty quick. Once I got away I could smell that the clutch might have gotten a little hot, and it seems like the clutch does not grab now as soon as it did before. What I mean is that when you let off the clutch the clutch engages more at the top of the pedal's travel than it used to. This change is very slight, but I feel pretty sure it is there.

My question is, did I do any permanent damage to the clutch? Do you guys feel like I need to adjust anything? I looked at the manual but the only thing I could find was clutch free travel, and that seems to be in spec. Also, what would a ballpark figure be on a dealer replacing the clutch on a Massey 231S?

Thanks in advance for any comments. I feel pretty foolish about the whole thing, looking back it seems like it would have been worth a few stings to save the wear and tear on the machine. Seemed like a good idea at the time though.

/ Slipped Clutch #2  
Last week I attended a funeral for an in-law who was stung by 2 wasp's and died. He was never to anyones knowledge, alergic to bee stings. No way I would WILLINGLY allow myself to be stung. A clutch can be replaced. A life can't. Not worth the risk if it can be avoided.

I'd try adjusting the clutch and using it for a while if it isn't slipping. They can take quite a thrashing. My MF150 still has it's original clutch from 1971. That's after 36 years of hard use. It's been adjusted 4 or 5 times over the years after a noticable change in pedal feel.

Dealer service rates vary, but as an example, the dealer I do business with has quoted me changing drive and pto clutch, throw-out bearing, pilot bearing, and adjustments on a 135 (very simular) at $875. I can do it myself for under $300.

/ Slipped Clutch
Thanks for the reply Farmwithjunk.

When you say adjust the clutch are you talking about the free travel in the pedal? That is the only thing I could find in the manual, along with adjusting the three bolts on the PTO clutch. Would adjusting the bolts on the PTO clutch affect the pedal feel of the drivetrain clutch?

Thanks.

/ Slipped Clutch #4  
There's an inspection plate under the clutch. (bottom of bellhousing) It will give you access to the clutch adjustment. You might need a SERVICE manual to perform a clutch adjustment. Owners manual doesn't get that far into servicing a clutch. It's all about setting clearance between the disc and flywheel. THEN you set pedal free travel. PTO clutch is set AFTER drive disc is adjusted. Changing drive disc adjustment will effect pto clutch adjustment somewhat. Even if you DON'T adjust disc to flywheel clearance, make certain you maintain the pedal free travel, or you'll loose a clutch in short order.

/ Slipped Clutch
Thanks for the replies. Where is the best place to get a service manual for the 231S? The places I have looked so far the manuals are about $60, does that sound about right?

Also, which service manual should I get? I haven't seen one specifically for the 231S, or for the 241 which is I think what my owners manual covers. Which Massey model is closest to mine?

Thanks for the help. Y'all are good ol' boys.

/ Slipped Clutch #6  
I agree with FWJ.. check that clutch out.

Soundguy

/ Slipped Clutch #7  
231S said:
Thanks for the replies. Where is the best place to get a service manual for the 231S? The places I have looked so far the manuals are about $60, does that sound about right?

Also, which service manual should I get? I haven't seen one specifically for the 231S, or for the 241 which is I think what my owners manual covers. Which Massey model is closest to mine?

Thanks for the help. Y'all are good ol' boys.

Afternoon 231S,
I was able to find manuals for the 231, I would just call SSB Tractor and ask them, Im sure they can hook you up ! ;)

SSB Tractor: Manual Shop - Tractor Repair, Shop & Service Manuals

/ Slipped Clutch #8  
scott_vt said:
Afternoon 231S,
I was able to find manuals for the 231, I would just call SSB Tractor and ask them, Im sure they can hook you up ! ;)

SSB Tractor: Manual Shop - Tractor Repair, Shop & Service Manuals

A good choice, as is getting them directly from AGCO/Massey Ferguson. I like their manuals personally. Who better to tell you how to spin the wrenches on a MF tractor than MF themselves. Besides the service manual, a parts manual is invaluable. They offer great "exploded views" of sub-assemblies.

/ Slipped Clutch #9  
If you haven't seen Big Dean Austin's site you should. Most of it is for the 100 series and industrials but the 231 is really close to a 135 in a lot of things. Dean has a detailed write up on adjusting clutches and also one for breaking the tractor to change the clutches. He will e-mail those to anyone needing them. He also has a CD. I can't remember for sure but I think it goes for like $20. It has about everything needed on it.
Big Dean's Massey Ferguson tips
It's $25 now. MFCD Disc

/ Slipped Clutch
Thanks for the link to Big Dean's. I googled his site and looked for it here when this problem came up and I couldn't find it. I thought he might be offline or something.

I'm going to go ahead and get his CD that covers the 135, even if I end up buying a service and parts manual for the 231S from SSB. I plan on getting a 135 in the future just to play around with, because that is the tractor my late father had when I was a kid to brushhog the same pasture me and my family live on now.

Thanks for all the help.