Sloved the energy shortage problem

/ Sloved the energy shortage problem
Let see; Iowa having problems, Democrat Governor; Cal. having problems, Democrat Governor. Two States, same problem, same party governor. Maybe it is the Democrat Governors that cause the problem? I think that is more likely than President Bush being the problem. What do Democrats as a party support? Tree huggers!! Hey I know, just two more wackos for Cal.

Dan L

/ Sloved the energy shortage problem #12  
Ejb,
I don't know about the little guys but Exxon, Texaco, Mobil, etc. have not lost money for a long time. Even when Exxon had to pay the billions to clean up the Valdez mess they recorded a profit. I have no problem with them making money, they very well should. The problem is that they are making money in a collusive effort. There is no doubt at all about that, none. You never saw this kind of effort before because there was 10-15 big oil companies, now you have three. It's not too difficult to control the price with three. Why all of the sudden now are they promising that oil is coming down? Because the fires are heating up and the govt. is starting to launch some investigations. Then just like last time this happened all the investigations will go away. Regardless of what we think this is not a free market economy right now.
I don't feel that we have a god given right to cheap fuel and energy. We don't. If the cost is what the cost is then so be it. I'll get rid of my 4wd and use less fuel if that is truly the case and get a fuel efficient car no problem. Heck if the technology was a little better I'd get one of those electric cars to drive back and forth to work. I'm not against any of that. What I'm against are people making outrageous profits at the expense of something that we have no choice over whether or not to buy. That is not right. Sure I can afford it and it makes nothing more than a little dent in my income. But what about the people that can't afford it? I know people that are on fixed incomes and were paying $400 and $500 a month power bills when the year before it was around $100. That is not right. Can you imagine the outcry if the farmers and ranchers all got together and made the price of corn $25 a bushel or the pound of beef on the hoof $4 a pound? You wouldn't believe the amount of action that would be prompted in record time. If there is truly an energy crisis then we should be acting on it. I don't believe there really is one. We have all kinds of ways of producing all the energy we need, it's just a matter of doing it.

18-35034-TRACTO~1.GIF

/ Sloved the energy shortage problem #13  
Wind power doesn't work when there's no wind though... Sometimes those whirlygigs on Altamont pass just sit there...

I would agree though, it is better than nuthin..

RobertN in Shingle Springs Calif

/ Sloved the energy shortage problem #14  
Re: Solved the energy shortage problem

Amazing the amount of miss-information on this topic.

First, neither Davis or Bush caused this problem. It was caused by Republican Pete Wilson several years ago when they decided they wanted to "open up" the electricity business in this state. Only problem was that enough special interests got involved to royally screw the pooch (that's a technical term).

Also, there are enough "choke points" for several tight commodities that prices can easily be manipulated. Prior to this year California traded electricity back and forth with several nearby states. We usually had a surplus in the winter, they usually had a surplus in the summer. Now, the surplus doesn't exist outside of CA, so we are seeing a big "choke" on the incoming that we've always taken for granted. Also, there are only a couple of pipelines into the state for natural gas. Easily manipulated.

I know it's being manipulated. Why else would the costs be up about 8000% (that is not a typo)? It sure doesn't actually "cost" that much more.

Think conservation can't help? Bull pucky. California, before this year, is #49 in the list of electricity use per person. After this year, we will be #50. I guarantee it.

Think alternative energy can't help? Bull pucky. My wife & I are installing a solar energy system (as are many of our neighbors), for less than the cost of our Kubota. It will supply 150% of <font color=orange>our</font color=orange> electricity needs. The surplus will go back into the grid. Once the solar system is complete, I could care less about the oil companies, the gas companies, the electricity companies, the state, Dubya, or anybody else.

The GlueGuy

/ Sloved the energy shortage problem #15  

Glue Guy,
That is exaclty what I was saying. There are plenty of alternatives and it's not a case of an energy shortage so to speak as much as it is a case of special interests, greedy corporations, and politics. Let me know how you are doing the solar thing or where I can find the info. on it. I'm going to be building a new house this fall or next year and I'm definitely going with some kind of alternate energy. I'm pretty tired of playing the energy guys games.

18-35034-TRACTO~1.GIF

/ Sloved the energy shortage problem #16  

Gluegy, I'd be interested to know more about what kind of setup you have. I don't know how much your Kubota costs but you said the solar system was less...can you be more specific? Do you plan on unplugging from the grid completely? What company are you using for the equipment? When do you figure the payback will be for the initial outlay?

/ Sloved the energy shortage problem #17  

GlueGuy,

Do you have any info or a web site for the solar system you are installing?

/ Sloved the energy shortage problem #18  

Cowboydoc, ejb, & GeneP,

As it turns out, one of my neighbors is selling solar "kits". He has them in 1KW, 2KW, 3KW, 4KW, & 5KW sizes. They run $7,500 per KW. At the present time, we can get a rebate from the state for about $3,000 per KW.

I've gone through our power bills for the last year, and our usage is about 14KWH per day, which would "mostly" be satisfied with a 2KW system. If we get that, then our outlay is $15,000 - $6,000 = $9,000. Payback at the "old" rates is 15 years. However, they are raising rates (for now) 40%. So that changes the payback to a little over 10 years. That's a big gulp, but I think it's worth it to be free of all the shenanigans. If we upsize to a 3KW system, then all the paybacks go up 50%.

Only issues are space, and dealing with wind in our area. The system is virtually 100% maintenance free. No moving parts. Panels have a 25 year guarantee (they are made by Siemans). I'm not sure if I can fit all the panels on top of our garage, but that would be the desire.

The GlueGuy

/ Sloved the energy shortage problem #19  

Thanks...but how does the wind factor in?

/ Sloved the energy shortage problem #20  

<font color=blue>how does the wind factor in?</font color=blue>

The panels are relatively large, provide a big "face" into the wind. Our area routinely gets 60mph winds in the winter storm months, and we have occasionally gotten winds over 100mph. In fact, the previous owner had installed a little weather station. The anemometer blew away at around 110mph. Also blew away part of the roof, facia, and a skylight.

The GlueGuy