Slow Moving Vehicle Sign

/ Slow Moving Vehicle Sign #11  
I don't have a weight bracket on the rear of my mower but would suggest you try to find a place to add on a piece of square tubing to act as a socket. Then get a second piece of tubing to drop in as a mast to support the smv sign with the strobe light on top. Plug the strobe into the 12v socket on the right fender. Make sure the sign and strobe light are mounted high enough to be seen for your safety. It would seem the easiest way to do this is to weld the socket in place and drop the mast into it when needed and plug in the strobe so easy on and off.

FWIW, you won't see me on the road at night with my x749 just to dangerous imo.

/ Slow Moving Vehicle Sign #12  
The safety lights are a great idea. I have been looking for a way to add some to my JD X728. Right now I am using a magnetic flashing strobe that plugs into the switched 12 volt outlet. This past summer had a friend get hit by a car while on his lawn tractor returning home from mowing a yard down the street. It was a local street and the driver was only doing about 20 mph. Claimed he didn't see the lawn tractor. It was the middle of the afternoon. Friend ended up having surgery for cracked vertebrae. Lucky he wasn't killed. Still going for physical therapy. His tractor was totaled. He has had to lawyer up because the insurance company for the car driver is claiming he didn't have the proper slow moving signals/signs on his tractor.
So if your going to be on the street have flashing safety lights and slow mowing signs.

/ Slow Moving Vehicle Sign #13  
Glgeek:

I'd mount the SMV to the back of your seat using those square plastic license plate mounting nuts one can get at almost any chain auto parts store. You'll have to cut a couple of holes in the plastic seat back; but that's no big deal to do. If you want a strobe or other flashing light, get something you can power off the cigarette lighter style power port until or unless you want something more permanent.

Now my other question to you is how busy is the road you want to drive on? A 1/4 mile isn't that far, and if it's as quiet as my 1/4 mile dead end street, I'd just go for it. But if that 1/4 mile has tons of traffic, then by all means make sure you are seen...providing the drivers of cars aren't yammering away on their cell phones.

Cell phones...the new opium.

/ Slow Moving Vehicle Sign
Glgeek:

Now my other question to you is how busy is the road you want to drive on? A 1/4 mile isn't that far, and if it's as quiet as my 1/4 mile dead end street, I'd just go for it. But if that 1/4 mile has tons of traffic, then by all means make sure you are seen...providing the drivers of cars aren't yammering away on their cell phones.

Cell phones...the new opium.

still working on this.

it is a quiet street. i snuck there during our last snow (twice).

going to buy a sign this weekend and see if i get some inspiration. since it is so short of a distance, i might check out the bicycle strobes. since i only do this in the winter, i am thinking something that bolts to the weights.

thanks for the ideas.
actually, this is kind of the fun part of owning, making it my own !

geek

/ Slow Moving Vehicle Sign #15  
I'm looking forward to seeing what you come up with. Since the street is generally quiet, just go for it.

/ Slow Moving Vehicle Sign #16  
Attached is a picture of my X595, which is identical to the X748. All you need is a L bracket about 3' long with holes drilled in it (available at any hardware store) and a slow moving triangle. I bolted the bracket on the bottom to existing holes in the frame of the tractor and the sign had 2 predrilled holes which I used to attach it to the top of the bracket. Works with either my cab on or off.

IMG_0274.jpg